BlueWave Studio forum
Need advices before buying parts - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: Community (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-85.html)
+--- Forum: General (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-57.html)
+--- Thread: Need advices before buying parts (/thread-3180.html)

Need advices before buying parts - hariix_ - 01-30-2022

Hello, im planning to buy OAP for 2 cars.
An 2001 Audi S6 and a Clio 2

I never used a Raspberry (only DIY projects with ESP8266)
Here is my planned buy list, if someone experienced could check for obvious errors it would be great:

Screen (10.1", 1024x600, Capacitative) : Here
Raspberry PI 4 4GB
CARLINKIT CPC200 : Here
12v to 5v PSU (2x15W USB) : Here
USB DRIVE (to boot from it, bought cheap SD for 1st boot) : Here
USB BT DONGLE : Here
USB SOUND CARD (with mic input) : Here

I'll also get a MIC , FAN , RTC DS3231 , and an official PI CAM (with ruban to hdmi connectors for backup cam)
I already have an ELM327, but I think it's a poor one with missing commands, may get new one or get a PiCan2 if I can read sensors trought CAN and display to OAP (will need help prolly).

So I just need confirmation about the screen (is it a good ratio for OAP?), 4GB of RAM is good enough if I use CarPlay only 80% of the time? 
Is my power supply good for everything I said, please link me a good one else? Usb drive should be faster than SD for booting i guess (i read one time its not, please confirm)?
BT DONGLE should be good...
And I miss something: my usb sound car has jack connectors, i can't find jack to stock speakers connectors (these behind the radio)
But im still not sure if i kill the stock radio and use aux input and so i can keep steering wheel buttons or I find how to make steering wheel OAP (which is better ahah)

Thanks you guys in advance, I hope I can build it easily and then help others newbies! Heart

RE: Need advices before buying parts - GSPW - 02-06-2022

(01-30-2022, 02:39 PM)hariix_ Wrote: But im still not sure if i kill the stock radio and use aux input and so i can keep steering wheel buttons or I find how to make steering wheel OAP (which is better ahah)

I suggest you run a search for "arduino", you should then see what other members have done to use the stock SWC for OAP.

RE: Need advices before buying parts - Chrisfromwa - 02-06-2022

I completely removed my OEM radio in my daily driver and it's been great.

I bought an RTL-SDR and using some software I found on here,  I still have over FM radio.
Does your car have factory amplifiers?

If so, you'll need to figure out how to feed a signal too them. 
Or just remove and replace with aftermarket.  That's what I did,  I have a Fosgate 5 channel amp now running everything. 

For a soundcard.  I went with this one.  It also has a mic,  and I liked that it had RCA out.  So it can plug directly into an aftermarket amp.

For your bootdrive.  I would go with an SSD over a Flash drive.  I asked that question here awhile back, was told that a SSD will be faster and more reliable compared to a flash drive. I went with this one,  and it's been working great.  Boot wise,  you're not going to notice much difference since PI still tries to look for the SD card first from what I've heard. It will boot in about 26 or so seconds.  But you'll really notice the difference once it's up and running.  Everything runs so much more smoothly compared to an SD card. 

For steering wheel controls,  check out this thread.  It was a lot of help for me getting mine working.

Another thing you might want to look into is a powered USB hub.  The more stuff you add, you'll quickly run out of ports.  Plus the more you plug in,  the more power issues you'll have with the PI.  I actually have 2 of these.

RE: Need advices before buying parts - hariix_ - 02-06-2022

(02-06-2022, 03:27 PM)Chrisfromwa Wrote: I completely removed my OEM radio in my daily driver and it's been great.

I bought an RTL-SDR and using some software I found on here,  I still have over FM radio.
Does your car have factory amplifiers?

If so, you'll need to figure out how to feed a signal too them. 
Or just remove and replace with aftermarket.  That's what I did,  I have a Fosgate 5 channel amp now running everything. 

For a soundcard.  I went with this one.  It also has a mic,  and I liked that it had RCA out.  So it can plug directly into an aftermarket amp.

For your bootdrive.  I would go with an SSD over a Flash drive.  I asked that question here awhile back, was told that a SSD will be faster and more reliable compared to a flash drive. I went with this one,  and it's been working great.  Boot wise,  you're not going to notice much difference since PI still tries to look for the SD card first from what I've heard. It will boot in about 26 or so seconds.  But you'll really notice the difference once it's up and running.  Everything runs so much more smoothly compared to an SD card. 

For steering wheel controls,  check out this thread.  It was a lot of help for me getting mine working.

Another thing you might want to look into is a powered USB hub.  The more stuff you add, you'll quickly run out of ports.  Plus the more you plug in,  the more power issues you'll have with the PI.  I actually have 2 of these.

Yes I’ve heard about USB boot being slower than SD. But I seen peoples tricking the system to forget the SD at boot. I’ll try that, if it doesnt work I will just get a fast SD card (ill probably prefer fast boot time since Ill use carplay most of the time). I will post my conclusions in this forum.

I think ill keep my stock radio and add an aux input to it. It will solve problems of cables and steering wheel buttons all at once. And save me to buy an amp..

You have 2x4 USB ports ? ?
I got a stronger power supply. Can you give me the link to the cable you use to give 5v power to the usb hubs from the car’s 12v please?

RE: Need advices before buying parts - labtopia - 02-07-2022

Here's what I just built mine with: My OAP Amazon parts list

some other things but thats mostly it.