BlueWave Studio forum
Bluetooth Issues - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: Bluetooth features (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-72.html)
+---- Forum: General topic (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-78.html)
+---- Thread: Bluetooth Issues (/thread-3450.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bluetooth Issues - oolong - 06-09-2022

I was previously using the Kinivo Bluetooth adapter (BTD-400).  With that I was getting media playback, contacts, and call history, but I wasn't getting audio during calls.

Based on the hardware recommendations page I bought the Panda Bluetooth adaptor (PBU40).  Now I get call audio, but no contacts or call history I've verified that contact sharing is enabled on the Bluetooth connection in Android.  I've recreated the connection a couple times, but not contacts or call history.

I'm not sure why contacts and call history wouldn't be a problem using the previous adaptor but is a problem using the "recommended" adaptor.

Is there something I can check?

RE: Bluetooth Issues - BlueWave - 06-09-2022

It looks like issue on your phone. Double check all the permissions on your phone. Remove all pairings and do it once again. Bluetooth dongle has nothing to do with PBAP profile.

RE: Bluetooth Issues - oolong - 06-09-2022

I tried to highlight this part to make sure you would read it...

Quote:I've verified that contact sharing is enabled on the Bluetooth connection in Android.  I've recreated the connection a couple times

In other words, I already did what you suggested.  I removed all pairings and readded it a couple times.  And I've checked contact sharing permissions repeatedly.

It's just weird how this was working with the previous BT adapter and not this one.

RE: Bluetooth Issues - BlueWave - 06-09-2022

It works with all our reference phones and all Bluetooth dongles (including Panda one). Double check your phone or do the factory reset.

We also suggest to apply first all our suggestions then posting back the result to make sure you read them all.

(06-09-2022, 07:21 AM)oolong Wrote: It's just weird how this was working with the previous BT adapter and not this one.

(06-09-2022, 07:14 AM)BlueWave Wrote: Bluetooth dongle has nothing to do with PBAP profile.

RE: Bluetooth Issues - oolong - 06-10-2022

Well, it definitely has *something* to do with the Bluetooth adaptor, because if I switch the default adaptor in Bluetooth Manager to what I assume is the internal Pi Broadcom adaptor and re-add my phone then suddenly my contacts and call history show up. Although audio is garbled if I try to make a call.

Switching the default adaptor back to the Panda and reconnecting introduces the same problem of not having contacts or call history, but at least I can hear phone call audio.

So as of now it seems my choices are between having contacts or garbled phone audio. I see there is a Panda Linux driver I can download so maybe I will try that.

RE: Bluetooth Issues - BlueWave - 06-10-2022

(06-10-2022, 12:05 AM)oolong Wrote: Well, it definitely has *something* to do with the Bluetooth adaptor

We tried to highlight this part to make sure you would read it... It has nothing to do with Bluetooth dongle.

You can repeat it, but it doesn't explain how I can get contacts and history with both the Kinova adaptor and the internal Broadcom Bluetooth, but the only one that is not giving me contacts and history is the Panda adaptor. Clearly something different is happening when I switch Bluetooth adaptors. One out of 3 adaptors not providing contacts and history indicates some kind of difference with this adaptor over the other two.

So it really isn't helpful to repeat something without offering help or context. I'm trying to figure out an issue I've spent hours on and if you don't have any ideas that can help then there isn't any point to you replying.

Especially when you haven't offered anything else other than "double check your permissions" or "redoing my pairings". As if I haven't been doing exactly that for hours. As if I wasn't already doing that before I posted here.

Did you perform factory reset of the phone?

No, but I did a reset of my network settings which deletes all network and Bluetooth settings data.  However, after multiple resets today I FINALLY figured it out...   Smile

I don't know if this is an issue with my phone (Sony XPeria) or OpenAuto or the Panda Bluetooth adaptor or updates I may have made to the Raspberry Pi along the way, or some combination.  In any case maybe this will help someone else.  The key to getting my phone paired correctly was getting a secondary pairing prompt (Basically the prompt that tells you to verify the pin etc.)   I was getting the first prompt from OpenAuto, however there is another prompt that I was only getting when I ran the Bluetooth Manager app in the background.

1. On My Phone: Reset my Bluetooth settings.
  2. On My Phone: Make sure that Bluetooth tethering is switched on.   If it is unable to get an IP address then I will get endless prompts of not getting an IP address from Bluetooth Manager and I won't get the second prompt.  My Bluetooth tethering tends to turn off for some reason, maybe because I'm on WiFi and that's what my phone does so I needed to keep making sure it is on before starting to pair.
  3. Remove any paired phones in OpenAuto
  4. Exit from OpenAuto to the desktop (power button->return) and start Bluetooth Manager.
  5. In Bluetooth Manager, make sure to remove devices from all adaptors by selecting the adaptor and "Remove Device".  I have two adaptors show up for me and I need to remove them both.
  6. Go back to OpenAuto and start the pairing process.
  7. Pair the OpenAuto connection with my phone.
  8. Confirm the first verify prompt in OpenAuto
  9. Make sure to check the option to share contacts, doing this after the fact won't get the second prompt.
  10. Once that connection is established, I will get a second verification prompt with a second pin from Bluetooth Manager.  Sometimes that secondary prompt will occur when I first browsed contacts or call history.  If Bluetooth Manager is not running this will show up as a bluez error in the OpenAuto output log something like: "Connection Refused Error 111"
  11. So then I needed to confirm that prompt from Bluetooth Manager.  I believe I choose something like "Always Confirm".
  12. On My Phone: Confirm the second connection, also making sure I again check to include contacts and call history.

Once all of this is done it puts two connections on my phone.  However only one of those connections is listed as "connected", but it seems that both are needed to actually get all the features.

So, finally after all of that I finally have all my contacts, history, and call audio.

You have Bluetooth pairing agents messed up in your instance of the Raspberry PI OS. We recommend to do a reflash of the OS to avoid such undefined behaviors in future.