BlueWave Studio forum
Amp wiring - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: Audio features (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-63.html)
+--- Thread: Amp wiring (/thread-2929.html)

Pages: 1 2

Amp wiring - BlueRabbit - 09-12-2021

Wonder if anyone can advise on wiring an amp to OA? I have an XH-M180 and can see it has two 3-wire input ports which I assume connects to the 3.5mm audio jack on the soundcard.

Problem is that the audio cable from the jack is two wire and I can’t see how to connect this to the input port.

Do I need to make a custom cable for this?

RE: Amp wiring - GSPW - 09-13-2021

Just for reference, which connector in the attached schematic are you referring to?

RE: Amp wiring - ioioioio - 09-13-2021

If your audio cable has 2 wires it is not a stereo cable (unless you are not counting the shielding as a wire, shielding is GND), get a stereo cable, stereo mini-jack (or whatever your card offers as output and you should be set, even better get a presoldered cable and cut it at length,
Also let us know if you get any issue with noises as I ahve the very same amplifier and have a lot of noise coming in from the RPI.

RE: Amp wiring - BlueRabbit - 09-13-2021

Thanks for the replies.

I am not familiar with this board, but see 12v in, speaker out and two inputs (INPUT1 and INPUT 2). I assume that I need to be connecting to INPUT1.

On the pi I have a cheap USB sound card with audio in and audio out ports, both 3.5mm. So what I am trying to do is connect the audio out (headphones) socket to INPUT1.

Hadn’t realised that the shielding is GND, thanks for that tip!

RE: Amp wiring - BlueRabbit - 09-14-2021

Does anyone know how to connect the Raspberry Pi to the XH-M180?

RE: Amp wiring - GSPW - 09-14-2021

This will sound very crude but I would get a 3.5mm to dual RCA converter, cut off the RCA ends then try to connect the L/R leads to the board ("INL" and "INR").

RE: Amp wiring - BlueRabbit - 09-14-2021

That’s pretty much what I have tried, it’s not working though.

I might just get a different amp.

Thanks for the idea though.

RE: Amp wiring - Chrisfromwa - 09-14-2021

I would just get an amp designed to be in a mobile type environment.
If you stick with a known brand, it would also most likely have a better input stage that will help filter out any noise in your system.

This is what I've done, I have a USB soundcard that has RCA out. Then I just run RCAs right to the amp.
Works good.

RE: Amp wiring - GSPW - 09-15-2021

(09-14-2021, 06:50 PM)BlueRabbit Wrote: That’s pretty much what I have tried, it’s not working though.

Isn't there some setting up to do with the DIP switches maybe? Or could it be that the signal voltage is too low (but then how to find out the accepted range without any documentation)?

RE: Amp wiring - BlueRabbit - 09-15-2021

Yep, I did exactly as you advised and bought an amp with RCA inputs. Plugged it all in and it works a treat. 

Thanks.

The XH-M180 is going back! There is absolutely no documentation with it, the onboard LED doesn’t light up when I attach 12v and I don’t know if it should because…. there is absolutely no documentation Smile