BlueWave Studio forum
MX-5 1992 1.6 - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: Head-unit projects (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-89.html)
+--- Forum: Your projects (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-62.html)
+--- Thread: MX-5 1992 1.6 (/thread-2455.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

MX-5 1992 1.6 - enuos92 - 02-26-2021

Hi all,

I had been looking for a while to get a new head unit for my car but I had certain criteria that it had to meet. I wanted wireless android auto , volume knob and not too expensive. after searching for well over a year I came across OAP. I decided if I couldn't find a head unit I liked I would have to build  one.

I have been working on my OAP install for a little while now. Yesterday I finally installed it into the car. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Project features.

auto shutdown: controlled by a timer relay to shut off power to USB ports . Another relay to tell the pi to turn off. Code from this thread https://bluewavestudio.io/community/showthread.php?tid=1128&highlight=timer+relay.

dimming screen when headlights turn on : controlled by a relay and a edited script biased of everlander (youtube) code.

rotary encoder: for volume control. OAP supports these out of the box and is pretty simple to set up..... if you don't wire it up wrong like i did the first time.

Reversing camera: haven't installed it yet still designing a case to hold the official raspberry pi camera.

This is how it will sit on the back of the car 

Here is a look at the electronics behind the pi. As I have taken out the old radio I'm using the radio harness from the car to power the pi and for dimming and reverse signals.

here is a wiring diagram

If any one has any questions please ask

This project is still a WIP backup camera needs finishing. I might also look into getting a BMW I drive controller. So I will update this thread if anything new happens

cheers,

Will

RE: MX-5 1992 1.6 - jhornbr225 - 02-26-2021

That's awesome!

I have a 1995 1.8 that is my toy. If I have to put the top up, I don't drive it. I'm currently at 57,000 miles. Last year I was able to get the historical vehicle license plates, and my state also passed legislation that a front license plate is no longer required. I was able to remove the complicated bracket that held my front license plate, and I have no holes in the front bumper. I also put new tires on it last summer. I was starting to get a little worried, as the tires that were on it were over 20 years old.

As far as a radio, I built a wooden frame for the left side of the trunk. It's got a Sony head unit in it. It also has a space for a 10 Disc CD changer, and an amplifier. The CD changer died a few years ago. I added a Sony XA-300 Aux Input controller so I could add a few inputs via RCA jacks. I got a little Bluetooth receiver with RCA outs, powered by 12V off the power antenna lead.

When I drive the car, I either use the music I have stored on my phone, or I grab my Fire Tablet that has all my music on it, and play it through Bluetooth.

I installed an RM-X4S wired remote control, and mounted that to a bracket I attached to the driver's seat mounting bolt. I just reach down to the floor with my right hand to control the volume. If you look in the car, even with the top down, you can't see it. I left the factory radio in the dash. I even left the power hooked up to it so the clock and backlight works. I only removed the speaker wires from it, and ran them to the amp in the trunk. 

I've considered changing to something more modern, but honestly, I only put a few hundred miles on the car a year. We don't take long trips in it either. And with the condition the car is in, (really good), I hate to make it not stock looking, especially since I never put the top up, except to store it through the winter.

RE: MX-5 1992 1.6 - enuos92 - 02-26-2021

hey jhornbr225

It sounds like you have a MUCH nicer mx5 or should I say Miata, than I do. Mine is on 102k miles and I drive it daily , mostly with the top up being in the UK. Being in the UK the sills are also looking rather rusty although im hoping to get this fixed soon.

I only got the car a bit over a year ago and have been teaching myself how to work on cars.  I try and do all the work on it myself. Being self taught I watch a lot of youtube on how to do things on the car. This evolves looking at some very unstock mx5's . Unfortunately now I have been sucked into " the mods to do your mx5" rabbit hole. By the looks of it this rabbit hole is endless. This head unit project is one of many thing I want to do to the car. Safe to say my mx5 wont be staying stock, although if I had a car like yours I would also try and keep it as stock as possible.

this is the next mod for the mx5, I have ordered one of these

its a face plate for the tombstone ,so the pi will soon sit much higher up basically inline with the cluster. I will also have space for all the switches and gauges I want. Will share pics once I get it and install it.

I know you want to keep yours stock but nothing I have done here isn't reversible. The pi is mounted on a bracket i 3d printed that screws into the tombstone and it all hooks up into the radio harness so no need to cut wires. The volume knob is in a old hole that the previous owner drilled for an aftermarket immobilizer. You could place the knob in a more discreet location like in the blank plates next to the steering column. just ideas.

RE: MX-5 1992 1.6 - GSPW - 02-27-2021

(02-26-2021, 01:08 PM)enuos92 Wrote: here is a wiring diagram

Nice work! What is the LCD readout mentioned in the diagram (assuming I got it right) for?

RE: MX-5 1992 1.6 - enuos92 - 02-27-2021

(02-27-2021, 01:04 PM)GSPW Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 01:08 PM)enuos92 Wrote: here is a wiring diagram

Nice work! What is the LCD readout mentioned in the diagram (assuming I got it right) for?

Thanks. Its actually just a stand in for the USB cigarette lighter I'm using for to power the pi. I had previously used a buck converter like the one shown but I kept on getting the low voltage sign on the pi. Since I have moved to a USB cigarette lighter I get no more low voltage issues.

I will update the diagram. It might be clear to me  but not for every one else.

Here is a new wiring diagram. Should make it a bit clearer. Have also added a bit more info on what each bit does.

RE: MX-5 1992 1.6 - enuos92 - 03-17-2021

little update:

So I tried and failed to get my BMW idrive controller to work over can bus. I'm not one to give up so I made my own.

I used the original housing of the BMW idrive and the up down left right mechanism as I liked the tactile feed back it gave. I used a rotary encoder and some 3D printed parts to attach it to the knob. some right angled momentary buttons for up down left right. I also included 4 extra buttons for back home and next and previous track.

it is all controlled by an Arduino pro micro that acts as a key board and connects via usb to the PI.

I'm not a programmer or have any knowledge of coding I got the code of GitHub 

https://github.com/VirusHQ/youtube_video_tutorial_codes/blob/master/Arduino_USB_volume_controller_%26_Macro_Keyboard/volume_control.ino

it all works how I want it to next will be to install it into the car still waiting on some bits to do that thou.

RE: MX-5 1992 1.6 - GSPW - 03-17-2021

Thanks for sharing, any reason why you chose not to use the later iDrive controller as found on F-series which has a set of buttons along with it?

RE: MX-5 1992 1.6 - enuos92 - 03-17-2021

I originally wanted to get the controller to work over canbus. The only BMW idrive unit that is supported is gen 1 so thats what i got. I also don't like the look of the F-series controller. 

I'm also making my own center console / arm rest, the shape of the F-series one would be harder to cut out in the aluminum.

RE: MX-5 1992 1.6 - enuos92 - 03-26-2021

so the new center console is almost finished will be fitting it in the car tomorrow 

here is a little sneak peak

RE: MX-5 1992 1.6 - GSPW - 03-27-2021

That looks great! What did you build it from? Laser-cut plastic maybe?