BlueWave Studio forum
Kia Sportage -07 DIY - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: Head-unit projects (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-89.html)
+--- Forum: Your projects (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-62.html)
+--- Thread: Kia Sportage -07 DIY (/thread-2270.html)

Kia Sportage -07 DIY - Jax - 12-15-2020

Hi there!
I'm a newcomer from Finland and this is my first hands on experiement with rpi. Also my experience to coding isn't much.

My goal is to replace original 2-din JVC player with 10" touchscreen and rpi 4b 2GB, have some fun and learn to code or atleast understand python and how these kind of things works.  My budget is about 500€ (including SD amp) which I pretty much have already spent.
Most of the stuff I have ordered from AliExpress China. Delivery time have been about 30-90 days. I have already spend tens of hours to find what I think has the best b4b value or is cheap enough. The most challenging part have been to figure out how to make the audio part working. I already had the SD amp, so I wanted to use that. So I ordered spdif out GPIO HAT or soundcard or what that is then I will connect it to 5.1 DAC via toslink. DAC and amp will be under passengers front seat, so the wiring will not be too long from dashpoard to center console and so on. From DAC 4 RCAs to SD amp. 

So the stuff I have or have atleast ordered already:
Rpi 4b 2GB
10.1" 1280x800 touchscreen
micro SD flex extender still waiting
OBD
GPS still waiting H
uawei E5377T 4G modem & external antenna

Buck Converter

PiFi Digi HAT (still waiting) -> toslink -> DAC -> RCA -> Amp SounDigital SD400.4D EVO2 -> ISO adapter and speakers
USB Soundcard - Mic

I have couple of USB hubs and a tf card reader

So I got my rpi yesterday and and screen already came earlier. I ordered OA Pro and it came like in an hour or so. I have installed it already and started to familiarize. I probably wasn't the first one spending 4hrs with the internal BT just notice that Broadcom chipset is not compatible.
I have changed my keyboard to Finnish because I want the symbols to be in right place and might sometime need ä and ö atleast when chatting or youtubing. I have also been victorious to get my mouse's cursor to be visible and then hide it again... what FAQ... Soundcard was just plug and play.

I still need to find working USB BT dongle to continue

To DO:
-figure out how to shutdown system, probably something like this
-design the wiring more stable and neat. My USB hubs are 3.0 because it is more newer and faster than 2.0... so I might want to find a 2.0 hub because I when tried to figure out where and what BT dongle I want to get S1 somewhere said "Careful if you go for a dongle. They don’t play nice with USB 3 ports because USB 3 emits a lot of interference. So you’ll want to plug it in to USB 2 and away from your USB 3 ports."  So the hub inside dashboard will be 2.0

This was my first post and pretty sharp 24hrs ago I got my OA Pro serial key.
I will make more posts soon.

Hope you liked the first part of this little adventure of mine and will travel with me to the victory or to bitter end.

The Journey has begun...
To be continue...

I will definedly want to hear what I have forgotten or the mistakes I already have made. Almost all feedback is welcome.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mACpTawKZ5fH3UEU7YH5JO1jvDVIM7cd/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fbnUd2q7L63x9BLaLOf0f97pej6tFfag/view?usp=sharing

RE: Kia Sportage -07 DIY - Daniel_BlueWave - 12-15-2020

Good to see that you have such ambitious plans. For sure you will manage and learn a lot.
For shutdown solution you can check this ideas: https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=91

Regarding USB dongles and other HW: https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=105

Keep us updated and good luck.

RE: Kia Sportage -07 DIY - Great - 12-16-2020

Congratulations on your project. It looks quite promising.

I don't know if you are thinking of using the OAP connected to the phone or in single mode. But if the goal is to connect to the phone to be able to use Android Auto for example, you have to decide if you prefer to connect via USB or wireless. If the option is wireless you have to know that you will not be able to use the E5377T modem since the OAP creates a hotspot to connect with the mobile phone, which prevents the ability to use the 4G modem. In this situation you will have to rely on your mobile phone's internet if it allows you to use mobile data even if connected via Wifi. I advise you to do several tests first as many mobile phones do not have this feature.

For me this is a gap in the OAP as there is no way around this situation if you want to connect your phone wirelessly and your phone does not have the possibility to use mobile data connected to a wifi network without internet. Since the system is quite unusable because you will not be able to listen to online radio (OAP does not have FM radio) you will not be able to use online navigation and so on. You'll have to settle with your mp3 playlist :-)

RE: Kia Sportage -07 DIY - BlueWave - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 10:42 AM)Great Wrote: Congratulations on your project. It looks quite promising.

I don't know if you are thinking of using the OAP connected to the phone or in single mode. But if the goal is to connect to the phone to be able to use Android Auto for example, you have to decide if you prefer to connect via USB or wireless. If the option is wireless you have to know that you will not be able to use the E5377T modem since the OAP creates a hotspot to connect with the mobile phone, which prevents the ability to use the 4G modem. In this situation you will have to rely on your mobile phone's internet if it allows you to use mobile data even if connected via Wifi. I advise you to do several tests first as many mobile phones do not have this feature.

For me this is a gap in the OAP as there is no way around this situation if you want to connect your phone wirelessly and your phone does not have the possibility to use mobile data connected to a wifi network without internet. Since the system is quite unusable because you will not be able to listen to online radio (OAP does not have FM radio) you will not be able to use online navigation and so on. You'll have to settle with your mp3 playlist :-)

Could you please elaborate more about problems with usage of 4G modem when hotspot is active? We did not notice any problems. Preferred way would be to create new thread that describes the problem.

Also switching to mobile data when WiFi network has no internet access is standard feature of AOSP. Unfortunately, many manufacturers broke that feature. Most problems of Android Auto are caused by manufacturers and their buggy overlays.

RE: Kia Sportage -07 DIY - Great - 12-16-2020

(12-16-2020, 12:07 PM)BlueWave Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 10:42 AM)Great Wrote: Congratulations on your project. It looks quite promising.

Could you please elaborate more about problems with usage of 4G modem when hotspot is active? We did not notice any problems. Preferred way would be to create new thread that describes the problem.

Also switching to mobile data when WiFi network has no internet access is standard feature of AOSP. Unfortunately, many manufacturers broke that feature. Most problems of Android Auto are caused by manufacturers and their buggy overlays.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but as far as I know the E5377T is a 4G Wifi modem / router.
If the OAP is serving as Hotspor, how can you connect to the 4G router via Wifi (I don't think you can use the E5377T via USB. At least I couldn't)?
Can you help explain how to do this because if it is possible it will greatly improve the use of OAP?