BlueWave Studio forum
Camera view not being summoned - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: Video features (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-64.html)
+--- Thread: Camera view not being summoned (/thread-2059.html)

Pages: 1 2

Camera view not being summoned - robinInTheHood12 - 09-27-2020

Hi,

just installed my OAP setup into my car and everything works great except for the reverse camera view. I wired an optical coupler to my reverse lamp circuit and ran the other side to the pi up on the dash to GPIO pin 23. I set the reverse camera to the latter pin in the reverse camera settings within OAP, but when I shift into reverse the view does not switch over automatically. I used a multi-meter to confirm the reverse lamp wire I ran is in fact powered, which it is. Any ideas why the view isn't switching over?

Thanks in advance.

RE: Camera view not being summoned - Daniel_BlueWave - 09-27-2020

What camera do you use? How it is connected to RPI? Does it work without triggering? How did you configure it in OAP?

RE: Camera view not being summoned - robinInTheHood12 - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 06:27 AM)Daniel_BlueWave Wrote: What camera do you use? How it is connected to RPI? Does it work without triggering? How did you configure it in OAP?

I am using this wide angle RPi camera:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/615100/inland-fish-eye-1080p-camera-for-raspberry-pi

It is connected to the standard ribbon cable connector on the RPi using an HDMI cable with some HDMI to Pi camera adapter boards. And yes, the camera does function without triggering. Pressing the rear camera button on the home screen of OAP will bring up the camera view. In camera settings, I set a GPIO pin for triggering which is connected to a wire I ran back to my reverse lamp circuit, but it does not seem to work. Shifting into reverse does not bring up the camera view automatically. I confirmed that pin goes high in reverse as well using a multi-meter. The circuit is definitely functioning, but there is no response on OAP's end.

RE: Camera view not being summoned - BlueWave - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 07:31 PM)robinInTheHood12 Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 06:27 AM)Daniel_BlueWave Wrote: What camera do you use? How it is connected to RPI? Does it work without triggering? How did you configure it in OAP?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/615100/inland-fish-eye-1080p-camera-for-raspberry-pi

It is connected to the standard ribbon cable connector on the RPi using an HDMI cable with some HDMI to Pi camera adapter boards. And yes, the camera does function without triggering. Pressing the rear camera button on the home screen of OAP will bring up the camera view. In camera settings, I set a GPIO pin for triggering which is connected to a wire I ran back to my reverse lamp circuit, but it does not seem to work. Shifting into reverse does not bring up the camera view automatically. I confirmed that pin goes high in reverse as well using a multi-meter. The circuit is definitely functioning, but there is no response on OAP's end.

Which GPIO did you set in OpenAuto Pro settings? What PIN of Raspberry PI did you connect to your reverse signal?

RE: Camera view not being summoned - robinInTheHood12 - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 07:43 PM)BlueWave Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 07:31 PM)robinInTheHood12 Wrote:

Which GPIO did you set in OpenAuto Pro settings? What PIN of Raspberry PI did you connect to your reverse signal?

I wired it to pin 16 on the Pi which is GPIO 23, so I set it to GPIO 23 in OAP settings. However since that didn't work, I tried swapping the numbers in case OAP went by pin # and made it GPIO 16, but that also did not work.

RE: Camera view not being summoned - BlueWave - 09-29-2020

Do you have any schematic for connecting PIN16 to the reverse gear signal?

RE: Camera view not being summoned - robinInTheHood12 - 10-01-2020

(09-29-2020, 07:19 AM)BlueWave Wrote: Do you have any schematic for connecting PIN16 to the reverse gear signal?

I made one here real quick and attached it, hopefully this makes sense. The LED represents the reverse lamp on my tail light. The 9v battery says 9v but its representing the 12v circuit that powers the tail light. I have an optocoupler with a 680 ohm resistor on it between the tail light circuit and the Raspberry Pi. I used an optocoupler so there was no risk of running too much current to the Pi when the car is shifted into reverse and the tail light circuit goes live. They way I wired it is the anode goes the positive red wire on the reverse lamp and the cathode is on the black negative wire. The emitter side of the optocoupler is the signal which I ran to GPIO 23 and the collector side goes to ground.

Let me know if this makes sense. Thanks.

Reverse Camera View Not Triggering - robinInTheHood12 - 10-02-2020

Hi,

I installed OAP in my car last week but the reverse camera view is not being brought up automatically when I shift into reverse. I set the trigger pin to GPIO 23 within Open Auto's camera settings but nothing happens when I shift. I can manually bring up the camera view by pressing the camera button on the home screen, but that is clumsy and inconvenient. I need it to bring up the camera automatically.

I attached my wiring diagram below (DC barrel jack represents power from the car battery and LED represents the reverse lamp light bulb). I used a PC817 opto-coupler with a 680 ohm resistor between the reverse lamp and the Raspberry Pi to mitigate risk of power spikes impacting the Pi. Any help is appreciated.

RE: Camera view not being summoned - Daniel_BlueWave - 10-02-2020

Try to trigger video using GPIO on your desk in order to narrow the issue. It is easy to do: connect camera and use wire with 3.3V to configured input pin. Would be useful to check it on few pins.

It is hard to asses your diagram as there missing pin numbers. What is the expected input current? What is the voltage level on the Rpi input?
What is the state on Collector if there is no signal from reverse lamp?

RE: Camera view not being summoned - robinInTheHood12 - 10-02-2020

(10-02-2020, 11:50 AM)Daniel_BlueWave Wrote: Try to trigger video using GPIO on your desk in order to narrow the issue. It is easy to do: connect camera and use wire with 3.3V to configured input pin. Would be useful to check it on few pins.

It is hard to asses your diagram as there missing pin numbers. What is the expected input current? What is the voltage level on the Rpi input?
What is the state on Collector if there is no signal from reverse lamp?

Yea I figured it was hard to read, I just cant display car components in Fritzing.

As far as the pin goes, the input voltage is 12 volts off the tail light circuit, and the output voltage on the pin is less than one volt since I used an optocoupler. Is 3.3 volts the minimum to accomplish triggering? I used the optocoupler to protect the Pi from voltage spikes since internally, optocouplers have no electrical connection and instead use an LED and photo-resistor.