BlueWave Studio forum
CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: Hardware for head-unit (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-87.html)
+--- Forum: Other Hardware (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-92.html)
+--- Thread: CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB (/thread-1815.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - gecko242 - 07-23-2020

Hi Everyone, 

As some of you may have seen, I have designed my own HAT for use with OpenAuto, in my Forester STI build:

https://bluewavestudio.io/community/showthread.php?tid=1712

Lots of people have subsequently showed interest in purchasing one of these boards, so I have created this thread to organise that, and provide some more information.

[Image: 3xM7NKv.jpg]

The board features the following:

- 12V - 5V buck converter to power the pi and touchscreen, with fuse and filtering.
- Safe shutdown circuitry to allow the pi to control its own power.
- Dedicated reverse, illumination and aux inputs, all opto isolated. 
- 4 opto isolated general purpose inputs.
- 2 high current, high side switched 12V outputs. (for switching relays, lights ect)
- 2 independent CAN bus ports. One for connecting to OBD, and one for connecting to accessories such as Idrive.
- Real time clock to maintain time across reboots.
- Broken out I2C bus for light sensor and other peripherals
- Broken out 1W for temperature sensor.

I have priced these boards up:

£70 / $90, with free postage and packaging within the UK. 

I appreciate this may be a little expensive for some people. If this is the case, I could offer a "lite" version, with the following features REMOVED:

- Can interfaces
- RTC
- 12V Outputs

This would cost £55 / $70, again with free postage and packaging within the UK. 

The connectors are common Molex connectors. The above prices are for bare boards only. I can offer pregerminated connectors with 150mm wires for £3 / $4 per connector, if required.

I will happily post abroad, but postage will be extra. 

If you would be interested in purchasing one, please drop a comment below with your thoughts, or send me a PM.

RE: CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - Chrisfromwa - 07-23-2020

How much are you thinking for shipping to the US?
Are you having these made by someone? If you got more orders, would you get more a discount on production?

RE: CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - DJNateFree - 07-24-2020

Bit bummed about the price + increased shipping to the US... 

...however...

You've still created a damn good piece of hardware here, and even if slight modifications have to be made on an car-by-car basis, I'd say this eliminates 75%+ of the word for future OpenAuto users.

The Can interfaces sound interesting, but my car doesn't currently have one. Is that one of those things that users can buy online and attach to this board as an aftermarket input method? Or is it one of those "if your car doesn't have one, there's really no point in trying to add one yourself"?

Everything else, though...that's a really tempting package. I'll say you can still count me in, but I'll second the question about who is manufacturing these. Would it be feasible to sell the pcb designs and have folks get them manufactured in their own country? (I'm still somewhat of a novice in these areas tbh)

Thanks again for your work on this!

RE: CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - gecko242 - 07-25-2020

Tracked and insured shipping to the US will be an additional £10 / $13.

I am assembling these myself. I have allowed possibly larger margins than strictly required, to account for part shipping costs ect.

As always, more orders will help lower the price, however the difference between 5off and 10off will be minimal.

As for selling the PCB's, that is something I might consider a little way down the road, however at this stage I would rather some more control over the design.

The CAN can be used for 2 main purposes at the moment:

1. Connecting an external controller, such as a BMW Idrive

2. Interfacing to your car's OBDII port, to allow diagnostics and such.

If you are unlikely to make use of either of those, then not much point purchasing the CAN enabled board!

I hope this all makes sense Smile

RE: CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - budman1758 - 07-25-2020

So just to be clear, A board shipped to the US is a total of $103.00?

RE: CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - gecko242 - 07-25-2020

(07-25-2020, 04:35 PM)budman1758 Wrote: So just to be clear, A board shipped to the US is a total of $103.00?

Yup you are correct Smile

RE: CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - eighty2fifty1 - 07-30-2020

Looks interesting. Which GPIO pins does it use? If users such as myself are using a Hifiberry DAC, we'd want compatibility with that.

RE: CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - Flenke - 08-02-2020

I think this looks amazing. Sadly the car I'm installing on at the moment is pre-OBD2 and CANBUS, but I'd definitely go for something like this if I were to do an install in something newer. If I had the time to figure out the different protocols and everything else that drives the CUE system in my '13 ATS, I'd be all over this in a heartbeat...

RE: CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - eighty2fifty1 - 08-02-2020

If it will be compatible with the Hifiberry DAC, I will take one.

RE: CarPiHat - Car Interface PCB - gecko242 - 08-03-2020

I have had a lot of interest in maintaining compatibility with a DAC of some kind, so that is something I will look into for the production batch. It may well be possible to refactor the pins in order to allow conditional HAT support.

I have enough orders to satisfy the various MOQ I need. I will happily take more orders up until the 20th of this month, at least for the first revision.

For those of you that have said you will be interested, I will send you a PM in the following days to collect some more info Smile

Thanks!!