BlueWave Studio forum
Using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and PCF8523 RTC at same time? - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: Real Time Clock (RTC) (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-82.html)
+--- Thread: Using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and PCF8523 RTC at same time? (/thread-1776.html)

Using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and PCF8523 RTC at same time? - chozar - 07-09-2020

I have my RPi 4 with Open Auto 9.0 installed.

I'm using the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HAT, and also the Adafruit PCF8523 RTC break-out board.

The Digi+ uses GPIO 2,3,5,6, and 18-21.  The PCF8523 uses GPIO 2 and 3 (SDA1 and SCL1).

I had soldered pin headers to the breakout on the Digi+ to let me connect my RTC to the correct pins, for power, ground, and GPIO 2 & 3.

When my RTC is connected, I do not have any functioning audio.  I get kernel errors snd-rpi-wm8804 module.  (wm8804 failed to read device id) When I remove the RTC, the Digi+ functions as it should.  Obviously, both devices are conflicting with GPIO 2 & 3.

The HiFiBerry GPIO page indicates that these pins "are used by our products for configuration. If you are experienced with I2C, you might add other slave devices. If you a a novice, we don’t recommend this at all."

I have not done any work to install or configure the PCF8523 break out board, yet.  Is there a way I can make this work?

Thanks!

RE: Using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and PCF8523 RTC at same time? - budman1758 - 07-09-2020

You might be able to use the second I2C bus on the pi.  See this page.  https://pinout.xyz/pinout/i2c

RE: Using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and PCF8523 RTC at same time? - ELCouz - 08-06-2020

(07-09-2020, 03:23 PM)chozar Wrote: I have my RPi 4 with Open Auto 9.0 installed.

I'm using the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HAT, and also the Adafruit PCF8523 RTC break-out board.

The Digi+ uses GPIO 2,3,5,6, and 18-21.  The PCF8523 uses GPIO 2 and 3 (SDA1 and SCL1).

I had soldered pin headers to the breakout on the Digi+ to let me connect my RTC to the correct pins, for power, ground, and GPIO 2 & 3.

When my RTC is connected, I do not have any functioning audio.  I get kernel errors snd-rpi-wm8804 module.  (wm8804 failed to read device id) When I remove the RTC, the Digi+ functions as it should.  Obviously, both devices are conflicting with GPIO 2 & 3.

The HiFiBerry GPIO page indicates that these pins "are used by our products for configuration. If you are experienced with I2C, you might add other slave devices. If you a a novice, we don’t recommend this at all."

I have not done any work to install or configure the PCF8523 break out board, yet.  Is there a way I can make this work?

Thanks!

Don't be afraid of the warning signs... I am using Hifiberry DAC+ ADC that use also I2C lines. It is shared with the DS3231 RTC without any issues. The memo is to prevent inexperienced users complaining issues on the forum and asking for support for making other device works which aren't their products.

RE: Using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and PCF8523 RTC at same time? - chozar - 08-07-2020

(08-06-2020, 03:05 AM)ELCouz Wrote: Don't be afraid of the warning signs... I am using Hifiberry DAC+ ADC that use also I2C lines. It is shared with the DS3231 RTC without any issues. The memo is to prevent inexperienced users complaining issues on the forum and asking for support for making other device works which aren't their products.

Thanks, I'll go ahead and try to get this working then.

RE: Using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and PCF8523 RTC at same time? - wkl3968 - 07-05-2021

Hi, I'm using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and I have no sound coming out and optical red light shine all the way. I have followed all the Hifiberry instruction to setup the config and set the master=alsa_output.platform-soc_sound.iec958-stereo per the instruction given by eightbitJaun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7oDsBXgDeM&t=45s . I still don't get any sound either in Rasbian and OPA. I need some pointers here

Here is my config.txt
[all]
audio_pwm_mode=2
force_eeprom_read=0
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi-pro

here is my aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi], device 0: HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 [HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index:'
index: 0
name:
* index: 1
name:
index: 2
name:

I have added the "master=alsa_output.platform-soc_sound.iec958-stereo" in /home/pi/.config/pulse/default.pa

I have selected Audio preference setting in Rasbian to enable the Tx Sources as AIF.

I still not getting the sound and the Music Player in OPA can play the track with the time lapse and no output sound.

not sure whatelse I missed out and I'm surely need some help.

Wei Keat

RE: Using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and PCF8523 RTC at same time? - BlueWave - 07-06-2021

(07-05-2021, 02:43 PM)wkl3968 Wrote: Hi, I'm using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and I have no sound coming out and optical red light shine all the way. I have followed all the Hifiberry instruction to setup the config and set the master=alsa_output.platform-soc_sound.iec958-stereo per the instruction given by eightbitJaun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7oDsBXgDeM&t=45s . I still don't get any sound either in Rasbian and OPA. I need some pointers here

Here is my config.txt
[all]
audio_pwm_mode=2
force_eeprom_read=0
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi-pro

here is my aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi], device 0: HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 [HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index:'
    index: 0
        name:
  * index: 1
        name:
    index: 2
        name:

I have added the "master=alsa_output.platform-soc_sound.iec958-stereo" in /home/pi/.config/pulse/default.pa

I have selected Audio preference setting in Rasbian to enable the Tx Sources as AIF.

I still not getting the sound and the Music Player in OPA can play the track with the time lapse and no output sound.

not sure whatelse I missed out and I'm surely need some help.

Wei Keat

Did you try to contact HiFi-Berry support? OpenAuto Pro is an application and uses PulseAudio as an audio backend. Image we provide is based on regular Raspberry PI OS. PulseAudio is default backend on the Raspberry PI OS and all compatible sound cards should support it out of the box. Is HiFi-Berry digi compatible with PulseAudio?