BlueWave Studio forum
Integrating OAP/Pi with factory Audi MMI (video capture) - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: General (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-81.html)
+--- Thread: Integrating OAP/Pi with factory Audi MMI (video capture) (/thread-1492.html)

Integrating OAP/Pi with factory Audi MMI (video capture) - caseyjay - 03-03-2020

Hello, I have an '07 Audi Q7 (2G MMI) and I can make OAP work in this car by feeding Pi video output into factory screen via TV tuner, but the screen resolution is lousy and importantly I lose out on all the factory options - reverse cam, radio, music interface, suspension settings etc.

I would like to switch this round - replace the factory screen with Pi/Touch screen defaulting to OAP, but then to feed in the car signal to the Pi/out to touchscreen with the ability to switch sources (no touch controls needed). I have seen chinese android HU offering this with the Audi MMI showing as a floating window (see attachment)...

Any ideas if this is feasible?  I assume it would need some video capture device for the Pi and a way to tap into the Audi video output (LVDS?) 

thanks

RE: Integrating OAP/Pi with factory Audi MMI (video capture) - peetereczek - 03-05-2020

I don't understand how you lose MMI capabilities if you are using factory screen with TV tuner. I'm having the same, but with RNS-E (which is basically the same as MMI 2G) and works perfectly and I didn't lost anything. All functionalities remains. Only think I can agree is average video quality, but that's limitation of the analog technology of TV tuner. Ok, it may be inconvenient to select between OA functions or car functions, but this is how it is, you have to choose which media platform you want to use. Don't expect to have FM radio playing while having Google Maps on screen.

If you would like to have everything from the car in OA screen, sorry but that's unrealistic dream. OA is supporting Audi CAN bus, so you can connect it to control OA via car buttons, but more features are still under development and I don't expect they will bring suspension control into OA. It's very specific and you will need to develop application on yourself.

I don't think going into Pi screen is a good option. I fitted touch layer over original car screen and works fine

RE: Integrating OAP/Pi with factory Audi MMI (video capture) - caseyjay - 03-05-2020

my bad, I was confusing myself - of course I keep those functions when using TV as an input and very easy to switch from original car to OAP (toggle AV1/AV2), what I meant was the screen is so bad, the option of replacing it with a pi 7inch to run native OAP would mean losing out.

As you say, probably way too much to expect from integration (and probably not worth the effort). I installed a capacitive overlay but the ribbon broke on refit (very little room under the LCD). I will order another/see if I can get better connectors and try it again, thanks for your input..

RE: Integrating OAP/Pi with factory Audi MMI (video capture) - peetereczek - 03-06-2020

(03-05-2020, 04:17 PM)caseyjay Wrote: my bad, I was confusing myself - of course I keep those functions when using TV as an input and very easy to switch from original car to OAP (toggle AV1/AV2), what I meant was the screen is so bad, the option of replacing it with a pi 7inch to run native OAP would mean losing out.

As you say, probably way too much to expect from integration (and probably not worth the effort).  I installed a capacitive overlay but the ribbon broke on refit (very little room under the LCD).  I will order another/see if I can get better connectors and try it again, thanks for your input..

You know, I fully agree that video could be better, but honestly I have no idea which screen can 'talk' to Audi multimedia and have digital input to connect Raspberry. If you would like to change Audi Video module to be digital, I think there is no such device on the market, or I'm not aware of it.

RE: Integrating OAP/Pi with factory Audi MMI (video capture) - 571 - 03-07-2020

You also should be able to use an LVDS switch, by pressing for example 3 sec the nav button. (using an Arduino connected to the canbus of the AC).
At least this is the principle of MMI 3G Carplay/AA boxes from China.

RE: Integrating OAP/Pi with factory Audi MMI (video capture) - peetereczek - 03-08-2020

(03-07-2020, 06:48 AM)571 Wrote: You also should be able to use an LVDS switch, by pressing for example 3 sec the nav button. (using an Arduino connected to the canbus of the AC).
At least this is the principle of MMI 3G Carplay/AA boxes from China.

MMI 3G is completely different device, with different components inside. Without modification of MMI 2G or RNS-E you won't reach that functionality, it's hardware / software limitation. It's hard to develop something on our own and developers are now focused to build modules for current Audi multimedia. MMI 2G is a bit outdated now and I'm just afraid that analog video input is the best what we can have. It's great that Bluewave is supporting CAN for Audi, I hope some more cool features will be added soon.