BlueWave Studio forum
Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: Video features (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-64.html)
+--- Thread: Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? (/thread-1138.html)

Pages: 1 2

Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? - kirikoglu - 09-19-2019

Hello,

I was working on a car for make own media center. After a few software I found the OAP. I'm newbie at OAP.

The OAP is realy very nice. A2DP, Mirroring, AA etc. the all of them is very successful.

But the user guide is not enough for new users I think. 

I was must to search something to make fully installed OAP.

I think, new users need a help document in web by seperating video issues, audio issues, connecting reverse camera etc. I'm saying these as a software engineer. The user guide PDF is containing everything in basic level.

Thats only a wish. But this will invite so many new users to use OAP. This is realy great project.

So, I have no idea how to connect a camera to my PI. So, if I connect, wil I need some make configuration for use camera? I dont have any idea in this topics.

I read all topic. So many users connected own cameras to PI as successfuly.

I will buy a standart reverse camera which has RCA cables (supporting ntsc/pal). 

After buy, I think I will need a RCA to USB connector. 

Is there anyone for write fully reverse camera connection document? 

RE: Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? - BlueWave - 09-20-2019

There is no guide because we do not recommend any hardware to be used as reverse cam. Everything depends on user choice. OpenAuto Pro requires only that connected camera will be properly discovered by Raspbian OS. As far as we know most of the capture devices are supported by it. From OpenaAuto Pro point of view you just need to connect your camera and set desired GPIO pin for triggering it.

If you are a beginner in the PI world, we strongly recommend to use PI Foundation components in your setup - they are basically Plug and Play or easy to configure.

RE: Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? - kirikoglu - 09-20-2019

Thanks for answer.

When microsoft sell the office software, has not a responsibility about the how users connecting printer to the computer. You are right. It's my mistake. I got it.

But, some information maybe good for newbies like me Smile

So, the logic is ;

If I connect a camera to the raspberry and if I capture the camera, OAP Rear Cam will be show the camera, right ?

Thanks a lot again for answer.

RE: Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? - BlueWave - 09-20-2019

(09-20-2019, 12:13 PM)kirikoglu Wrote: Thanks for answer.

When microsoft sell the office software, has not a responsibility about the how users connecting printer to the computer. You are right. It's my mistake. I got it.

But, some information maybe good for newbies like me Smile

So, the logic is ;

If I connect a camera to the raspberry and if I capture the camera, OAP Rear Cam will be show the camera, right ?

Thanks a lot again for answer.

You are welcome. Everything that you need to do is connection of the compatible (with Raspbian OS) camera. Then OpenAuto Pro using drivers from operating system will display video from the camera. Rear camera can be triggered manually using the Tile at home screen or via GPIO - you can connect GPIO pin (HIGH state will trigger the camera, LOW state will switch it off) e.g. to the reverse light using some 12V to 3.3V converter.

RE: Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? - kirikoglu - 09-20-2019

Thanks a lot.

I'm gonna buy easycap rca2usb and a rear camera which is connecting with rca.

After that, I'm gonna try the connection in next 2 weeks.

If it will be successfull, I'm gonna prepare a use case doc for connection of camera and usage.

RE: Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? - officialgrantd - 09-20-2019

I was not successful using an rca to usb device. I have the "Easy Cap" device with the UTV007 chip. Beyond that I did try a few different things to get it to work and have not been able to. I'll wait to see what you figure out. Those devices are ideal, since most rear view cameras you buy use RCA and often have the video image already switched, so that you don't need to do it on the software side. 

For triggering via GPIO, the easiest was I found was to use a regular 12V relay and connect the coil side to your reverse switch to turn the relay on, and the switch side of the relay jumps 3.3 to your GPIO pin of choice. Other people use a 12v to 3.3 converter as Bluewave suggested, but for me relays are basically free and more robust.

(09-20-2019, 05:34 PM)officialgrantd Wrote: I was not successful using an rca to usb device. I have the "Easy Cap" device with the UTV007 chip. Beyond that I did try a few different things to get it to work and have not been able to. I'll wait to see what you figure out. Those devices are ideal, since most rear view cameras you buy use RCA and often have the video image already switched, so that you don't need to do it on the software side. 

For triggering via GPIO, the easiest was I found was to use a regular 12V relay and connect the coil side to your reverse switch to turn the relay on, and the switch side of the relay jumps 3.3 to your GPIO pin of choice. Other people use a 12v to 3.3 converter as Bluewave suggested, but for me relays are basically free and more robust.

In the release candidate version we added some improvements for handling other camera devices like RCA to USB adapter. Now you can use it via V4L2:///dev/video* pattern. If it is possibile we recommend to check it with the latest version of OpenAuto Pro.

RE: Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? - officialgrantd - 09-20-2019

I do have the release candidate and I tried the device but it didn't work "plug and play". I don't understand what "use it via V4L2///dev/video* pattern" means.

RE: Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? - Daniel_BlueWave - 09-21-2019

"Plug and Play or easy to configure." - this is Linux. Are you able to configure your camera in Raspbian OS? You should ask manufacturer for more information how to do that.

RE: Is there any full helpy document for connecting reverse cam? - kirikoglu - 09-21-2019

I havent order the camera yet due the works.

There is a topic that needs clearify.

Physically connection may easy.

1) Find the cable which is activated with ignition. This cable already exist all cars I think. And find a ground cable.

2) Connect this cables to the camera power cables.

3 ) Test and find the cable which is activated with rear gear cable if you dont know.

4 ) Convert 12V to 3V of rear gear cable.

5 ) Connect output of this 3V to GPIO.

6 ) Connect camera RCA video output cable (generally yellow cable) to EasyCAP video input (yellow input)

7 ) Plug easycap to raspberry USB.

8 ) Choose the GPIO pin in OAP settings which have you connected the rear gear trigger cable to GPIO

We have done the phsyically connection of RCA cam and the OAP configuration. Still need configuration in raspbian side for use camera, right?

Now we need configuration for use this. Which commands needs to entered in terminal, I dont know.

If there someone has configured succesfully, can he describe the configuration and usage step by step?