BlueWave Studio forum
Beta - Revers/backup camera and AA - black screen. SOLVED - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: Video features (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-64.html)
+--- Thread: Beta - Revers/backup camera and AA - black screen. SOLVED (/thread-1126.html)

Beta - Revers/backup camera and AA - black screen. SOLVED - Frank - 09-12-2019

SOLVED. When I matched the camera resolution to the screen size .... 800 x 480, it worked. Screen is no longer black when in reverse.

After correcting the black backup camera display, I'm now stuck in the black screen of death as soon as I engage AA.

Suggestion:  Adding the page number on each page of the manual would be nice.

How I fixed my backup camera:  I changed the video setting in OAP 3.3.2b from 720 to 480.  The camera now works under all testing circumstances.  But when I connect my phone (and Android Auto) via USB cable, the screen goes black.

So, following your instructions,
1.  My equipment meets system requirements.  I have a Pi 3B+ with a HifiBerry Amp2 HAT, external Panda Bluetooth dongle, 7 inch Raspberry Touchscreen, HDMI cabled PI Fisheye camera on a GPIO relay switch.  My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.

2.  Are all permissions granted in Android Auto on my phone?  I have no idea.  I installed it from Google Play Store and no permissions were requested.  Pressing the settings button in AA lists no permissions per se so just to be sure, I confirmed that all applicable settings options are on.

3.  Developer Options settings, pg 19.:  Page 19 says that the developer settings are to be found in the AA software.  I found no such settings there.  Might you be referring instead to OAP?  If so, where could I find them? They are not listed in the manual's table of contents.

Please advise .. I'd love to get out of this black screen.

RE: Solution for black Screen after start of Android Auto - BlueWave - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 03:37 PM)Frank Wrote: After correcting the black backup camera display, I'm now stuck in the black screen of death as soon as I engage AA.

How I fixed my backup camera:  I changed the video setting in OAP 3.3.2b from 720 to 480.  The camera now works under all testing circumstances.  But when I connect my phone (and Android Auto) via USB cable, the screen goes black.

1.  My equipment meets system requirements.  I have a Pi 3B+ with a HifiBerry Amp2 HAT, external Panda Bluetooth dongle, 7 inch Raspberry Touchscreen, HDMI cabled PI Fisheye camera on a GPIO relay switch.  My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.

2.  Are all permissions granted in Android Auto on my phone?  I have no idea.  I installed it from Google Play Store and no permissions were requested.  Pressing the settings button in AA lists no permissions per se so just to be sure, I confirmed that all applicable settings options are on.

3.  Developer Options settings, pg 19.:  Page 19 says that the developer settings are to be found in the AA software.  I found no such settings there.  Might you be referring instead to OAP?  If so, where could I find them? They are not listed in the manual's table of contents.

Did you try this solution https://bluewavestudio.io/community/showthread.php?tid=1020&pid=6265&highlight=enable_shm#pid6265 ? Also please check for power issues - camera, sound card and phone might be too much for the RPIs USB.

RE: Solution for black Screen after start of Android Auto - Frank - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 04:08 PM)BlueWave Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 03:37 PM)Frank Wrote: After correcting the black backup camera display, I'm now stuck in the black screen of death as soon as I engage AA.

Did you try this solution https://bluewavestudio.io/community/showthread.php?tid=1020&pid=6265&highlight=enable_shm#pid6265 ? Also please check for power issues - camera, sound card and phone might be too much for the RPIs USB.

I did reinstall Android Auto and did encounter all of the permissions during the install.  I did make attempt to add a line to the etc/pulse/client.conf file of enable_shm=no.  Changes to the file were refused even though read and write permissions are in place.  I did see that a shm flag is in the comments but it is enable-shm.  Once I conquer the file lockout, should I use an underscore or a dash (enable-shm=no or enable_shm=no)?

No power issue suspected.  I have 12 VDC going into the amp2 HAT and it powers the pi at 3.3volts.  The HAT will accept DC voltages from 12 to 18 volts and step down to the pi accordingly.,

Conquered the file access issue.  Needed to sudo nano the file in putty.  Tried both the hyphen and the underscore. Underscore seems the correct route. However, cannot access AA at all now.

Figured out that the reinstall of AA wiped the automobile setup.  Took a couple of attempts to reset openauto pro as the AA vehicle.  Now back to AA working but backup camera is black when AA is plugged into OAP.  So far I can get AA or the camera but not both!

RE: Solution for black Screen after start of Android Auto - Daniel_BlueWave - 09-12-2019

As far as we can understood AA works for you.
Looks like you are describing camera features in beta version, is that right?

Please note that this is topic for black screen for AA start.

RE: Solution for black Screen after start of Android Auto - Frank - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 09:32 PM)Daniel_BlueWave Wrote: As far as we can understood AA works for you.
Looks like you are describing camera features in beta version, is that right?

Please note that this is topic for black screen for AA start.
Yes, I am running 3.3.2b version.

I've got both.  If I connect my phone by USB to the pi and then turn on the Pi and thereby OAP, I can see AA load and my display moves into Google maps.  AA works.   After this step, trying the backup camera results in a black screen ... no camera image.

If I power up the Pi (and thereby OAP) without first connecting my phone, the backup camera produces a color image when engaged.  After this step, I plug my phone into the USB and AA is not recognized and never loads even with manual intervention to load and run.

To switch between using the camera and using AA requires that I cold boot the pi with either the phone connected  (for AA to work) or disconnected (for the computer to display a backup camera image).