What would you expect more from OpenAuto Pro?

Tell us what would you like to have in OpenAuto Pro
BlueWave
Site Admin

What would you expect more from OpenAuto Pro?

Post by BlueWave » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am

Let us know what are yours expectations and wishes regarding OpenAuto Pro new features :)

Chrisfromwa

Re: What would you expect more from OpenAuto Pro?

Post by Chrisfromwa » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks again for an awesome product, and the opportunity to give feedback.

Here are some items that I would love to see.

1. AM/FM radio support: I know you guys are working on something and really hoping you have something to release soon. This is an item that would really make OA Pro a full headunit replacement and something I would use a lot as I don't always want to attach my phone.
2. More documentation: There are a lot of us, who are not really familiar with Linux. So more documentation step by step on how to do things like adding more applications to the main OA screen for example would be great. To go along with that, a growing list of 'how tos' would be nice. That might even lessen the amount of same questions being asked over and over.
3. Add the PulseAudio EQ by default: Or whatever EQ would work best and have it listed under settings so it's easy to access. Just like a real headunit. I tried installing it, finally got it to work, but it seems clunky and was kind of a pain having to install it.
4. More ways to customize: For example, The main apps grid. It be nice if those tiles could be made smaller/larger 4x4 or 6x6 etc. for those with different size screens. I still think it would be nice if possible as an option to have a volume slider always visible something along the bottom or side. something we could turn on/off in the settings.
5. Faster way to update: Instead of needing to email Bluewave and having to wait for a link, it would be nice if the software can detect a newer version and give you the option to update on the spot.

These are some I'm thinking of just off the top of my head, once I get this in the car and start using it I'm sure I'll think of a few more :)

Thanks again!

Chrisfromwa

Post by Chrisfromwa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:30 pm

A few more items I thought of :)

1. Integrate with OEM steering wheel controls: Not sure how difficult this is, but it would be nice if the software knew how to interpret buttons presses from major Auto manufactures (Toyota, Honda etc).
2. Able to handle phone calls/contact lists through bluetooth: Without needing to use Android Auto, OpenAuto would be able to connect and utilize the contact list, and be able to answer/make calls. The Pi3 has a builtin bluetooth adapter correct? Super bonus if we didn't have to buy another adapter.

evolotion

Post by evolotion » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:17 pm

the pi's built in adapter has issues with bluetooth HFP audo. sadly this is a known issue so an external adapter is required.

I would like to see Open Auto Pro handle call audio through Bluetooth natively (even if through a common extra dongle) this would allow anyone fitting open auto pro to a car with no bluetooth to have working hands free, or for those like me who wish to do away with the cars bluetooth will have another option.
I have tried setting up HFP, Ofono, and all the supporting stuff, I can *sometimes* get call audo working in one direction only, Im not an expert , but not a newbie with linux either and setting up the bluez+ HFP + Ofono is tricky.

Having OAP handling contacts and call lists rather than android auto seems a bit messy IMHO. AA does a fine job.
Denis.

fraisdos125

Post by fraisdos125 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:45 am

RTC added to the BWS_car_ps. Would be good to avoid having to share his internet connection to get the clock at the right time.
Bus CAN added to the BWS_car_ps: could easy to add car monitoring like: engine speed, battery level,...

Valentino

Post by Valentino » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi,

Most has already been told,

What would be really cool, is if we can have the possibility to navigate between OAP and AA more easily, while AA keeps his settings and keeps navigating.

Would be also nice to have a bar showing what radio station or stored track we are listening to,

And viceversa, have a little Satnav bar while we are on OAP, or a split screen.

Great project overall, do you guys think is possible to implement a screen that stays on until the software is up and running? So we don't see raspbian loading the auto runs?

Thanks

Chrisfromwa

Post by Chrisfromwa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Valentino wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:00 pm
Great project overall, do you guys think is possible to implement a screen that stays on until the software is up and running? So we don't see raspbian loading the auto runs?
Thanks
X2 on this, would really make the whole implementation a little more clean and professional.

Also, is there a way to change the boot logo that appears (currently the BlueWave) logo? Be cool to change it to something more related to my car.

Peace

Post by Peace » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Chrisfromwa wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:03 pm
Valentino wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:00 pm
Thanks
X2 on this, would really make the whole implementation a little more clean and professional.

Also, is there a way to change the boot logo that appears (currently the BlueWave) logo? Be cool to change it to something more related to my car.
You can easily change the splash screen by copying the image you want displayed during boot to /usr/share/plymouth/themes/pix/ and then changing the name of the image on line 4 in pix.script where its says "theme_image = Image("splash.png");" to the name of your own image, mazda.png in my case.

However, what I would like is the ability to have a video/gif displayed during boot like the ones in this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... a-t3351617 but I haven't figured out how to do it... I know it's a built in feature in RetroPie for example but I couldn't find any information on how to implement that part by myself.

Chrisfromwa

Post by Chrisfromwa » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:42 pm

Peace wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:59 pm

However, what I would like is the ability to have a video/gif displayed during boot like the ones in this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... a-t3351617 but I haven't figured out how to do it... I know it's a built in feature in RetroPie for example but I couldn't find any information on how to implement that part by myself.
I was also hoping to be able to add some type of animated type of logo or graphic at the startup. To make it look like a more OEM type setup.

Chrisfromwa

Post by Chrisfromwa » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:53 pm

BlueWave wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am
Let us know what are yours expectations and wishes regarding OpenAuto Pro new features :)
It's been a couple weeks since you posted this topic here, and on the Crankshaft Redit group.
Are any of our thoughts for features being considered? I think it would excite the community if there was more discussion from the BlueWave side on what's currently being worked on and maybe some timetables for updates.