Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 13
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird Bluetooth/wireless audio issues
Hi,

I've already posted about part of the problem in an existing thread, but the more I try to fix it, the more weird stuff happens.
I am unable to get call audio to play through the pi, when Bluetooth is selected as the output for the call I get no audio, but microphone input seems to work fine.  What has started happening now is that after trying to make a call or anytime I use the head unit server option to connect wirelessly, my audio quality goes down the drain and there is a crackling noise coming through the the speakers as well.  This will stop if I disconnect and reconnect the phone via USB.  I have tried with different USB ports which does not seem to help the issue.  Bluetooth adapter seems to be working as intended and the sound card does not have this issue until I attempt to make a call.  For reference, I have included the parts I am using below:

- OpenAuto ProBeta 3.3.2 on a Raspberry Pi 4 2GB
- Waveshare 7" screen ( c )
- CSR 4.0 adapter (btswitch external command executed)
- Ugreen in/out stereo sound card
- Pixel 2 XL on Android Q Beta 5 and all Bluetooth permissions given to OpenAuto Pro (There may be an issue with the Q beta and       Android Auto on the phone end, I will do a clean install of Android Pie later tonight).
- USB microphone (for testing purposes, will switch to a 3.5mm stereo microphone when it arrives).

Thanks in advanced for any advice you can offer.
Hello,
Please try to disable all power saving features for Android Auto application on your phone and also disable "Bluetooth scanning" for Location in

Settings -> Security & location-> (Privacy) Location -> (Advanced) Scanning -> Bluetooth scanning".
(07-24-2019, 03:31 PM)BlueWave Wrote: Hello,
Please try to disable all power saving features for Android Auto application on your phone and also disable "Bluetooth scanning" for Location in

Settings -> Security & location-> (Privacy) Location -> (Advanced) Scanning -> Bluetooth scanning".

No dice unfortunately.  Set it up in the car for a proper test run in place with the suggested settings changed and still no call audio and getting a drop in audio quality and a crackle through the speakers after trying.  Paired with the alternator whine I seem to have  through my amplifier now it is driving me insane.  I will go grab a ground loop isolator for the amplifier, but will try reverting to Android 9 for my Bluetooth issues.  Any other suggestions you may have would be of great help though.

Cheers.
Alright so reverting back to a stable public release has not fixed my issues, so I genuinely have no idea where to go from here. Every other aspect of the Bluetooth is functioning as I would expect and the microphone is working as intended during phone calls, so it is just the incoming audio.
Do you have your phone connected to both the car and the pi?
The stereo may need to be on AUX for it to play the audio properly, and it may be trying to play it via bluetooth if you have your phones bluetooth connected to the stereo as well
(07-25-2019, 06:37 PM)mentalinc Wrote: Do you have your phone connected to both the car and the pi?
The stereo may need to be on AUX for it to play the audio properly, and it may be trying to play it via bluetooth if you have your phones bluetooth connected to the stereo as well

Phone is plugged into the Pi and connected to the pi via Bluetooth as well.  I am gunning for a full replacement, so I have the USB sound card going to an amp.  I have no issues with music playback, assistant or navigation, only the call audio which is what makes it so odd.
(07-25-2019, 07:07 PM)Jimny_Ryan Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 06:37 PM)mentalinc Wrote: Do you have your phone connected to both the car and the pi?

Phone is plugged into the Pi and connected to the pi via Bluetooth as well.  I am gunning for a full replacement, so I have the USB sound card going to an amp.  I have no issues with music playback, assistant or navigation, only the call audio which is what makes it so odd.

Could you please try to plug Bluetooth dongle to different USB port?
I will look at getting another Bluetooth dongle tomorrow.  I am fairly sure that is the issue here.  Trying to make calls seems to trigger an irritating amount of interference that persists until I disconnect Bluetooth entirely.  If that doesn't fix it, I will probably give up lmao.
All fixed! After screwing around with the software end for so long, the solution was infuriatingly simple. Something (fairly sure it was something on the board itself) was interfering with the Bluetooth receiver, only really making problems whenever I went to call someone or when playing media over Bluetooth for extended periods. Changing USB ports wasn't quite enough distance, so I solved the issue by throwing the Bluetooth receiver on the end of a meter long extension cable and mounting it well away from any sources of power or audio cables.
Very interesting. Those EMC distributions can be tricky.

Thanks for keeping all hints in this discussion.