Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 11
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluetooth gateway
Hi all,

I have been trying to set up my raspberry pi 3B as a bluetooth gateway between my phone and my car's bluetooth, but I couldn't make it to work.

Here is what I'm trying to do :

- Connect my phone to RPi via a USB bluetooth dongle.
- Connect the RPi to my car's bluetooth via the RPi's onboard bluetooth chip.

The aim is to redirect all audio output from my phone to the RPi then to my car's speakers. I am still using a USB sound card on the RPi with a mic.

Anyone has tried this ? got it to work ?

Thank you in advance for the support Smile
(07-23-2019, 01:01 PM)badr.dibaj Wrote: Hi all,

I have been trying to set up my raspberry pi 3B as a bluetooth gateway between my phone and my car's bluetooth, but I couldn't make it to work.

The aim is to redirect all audio output from my phone to the RPi then to my car's speakers. I am still using a USB sound card on the RPi with a mic.

Hi @badr.dibaj. If I understand your question you’re trying to use your Pi as a streams server and your car audio like a Bluetooth speaker. Is that right?  

I’ve never tried it myself but I plan to give it a shot to see if it even works. Since we know your car has Bluetooth, does it also have an auxiliary in? If so that seems like an easier/less complicated set up. Just take the audio output from your pie and use a cable to your auxiliary input in your car.   The built-in Bluetooth module on the RPi is notorious for being unstable.
Thanks, Frank
Carputer Detail   Parts List
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 w/ Bose & Onstar
(07-23-2019, 03:19 PM)frankpintosr Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 01:01 PM)badr.dibaj Wrote: Hi all,

Hi @badr.dibaj. If I understand your question you’re trying to use your Pi as a streams server and your car audio like a Bluetooth speaker. Is that right?  

I’ve never tried it myself but I plan to give it a shot to see if it even works. Since we know your car has Bluetooth, does it also have an auxiliary in? If so that seems like an easier/less complicated set up. Just take the audio output from your pie and use a cable to your auxiliary input in your car.   The built-in Bluetooth module on the RPi is notorious for being unstable.
Hi frankpintosr,
Let me know whenever you have tried it Wink 

I have already set up my car with the auxiliary cable, and it works, even if the sound is really poor (my car's stereo has a terrible quality, whenever I plug in the cable from the RPi, there is a background noise (at some frequency) that i cannot stop, and I cannot bear it). But I was able to get the sound from the RPi and make some calls.

Now I'd like to avoid this sound quality issue and at the same time get rid of some cables ^^

I was able to get the bluetooth setup to work once : my phone was connected to the RPi through a USB bluetooth dongle, and the RPi was connected to my car through the RPi's onboard bluetooth chip.
The sound was correctly transmitted from my phone to the RPi, then to the car. But when I plugged my phone and started AA, it stopped working.
Ahhh!  What you’ve got going on there is something called a ground loop. There are very in expensive parts you can buy to fix the situation. It’s called a ground loop isolator. I’m putting a link to a video that explains how to install one and what it can do. 
Thanks, Frank
Carputer Detail   Parts List
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 w/ Bose & Onstar
I think you're right ... I powered the headunit with an external battery, plugged the aux cable into the car and the sound worked properly. I just ordered the ground isolator, I will test it and see if it solves the problem.

But I will keep trying to get the bluetooth setup to work ^^ I hate those cables XD