Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 7.0
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to configure RTC in the OAP
(03-04-2020, 09:48 PM)BlueWave Wrote: There is a built-in command bws-rtc that will help you configure RTC step by step. Just execute it and follow instructions on the screen.

Not sure what you mean by step by step. I've tried to run it, and there were only one step to set up RTC device - I choose DS1307 - script made some things and end without errors.

There is one important point. Script is adding dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,ds1307 in config.txt, which I cannot use, because I have BWS power supply and pin 5/GPIO3 is already occupied.
So I set up dtoverlay=i2c-rtc-gpio and connect RTC to GPIO 23/24 - pins 16/18 of PI 3B+ - those are default for i2c-rtc-gpio overlay.
It seams to work correctly, because I can receive correct date from 'hwclock -r' command even after whole night of PI turned off.

Looks like there is some other problem there, with synchronizing system time with hardware clock.
The RTC handling is purely Raspbian OS related thing. It has nothing to do with OpenAuto Pro application. We suggest to check default setup without BWS power supply and, as suggested, make sure i2c is enabled in the PI configuration.
This setup should be base to narrowing issue. Give a try.
I have a adafruit Ulitimate GPS Breakout attached to my rpi4B. It has a rtc built in that reads from the GPS satellites. I have gpsd installed on my rpi to run the GPS and the gpsd daemon automatically sets the rpi clock to gps time and adjusts it to local time according to the raspi-config settings for locality. I didn't have to do any special configuration to my rpi to get it to read correct gps/rtc time on OAP.

However, I can't use the hwclock utilities. I get the error message:

"hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method."

Using hwclock -r --verbose, it indicates "no usable clock interface found."

I suppose that's because I did not configure one of the three rtc choices available as indicated above. Still, I get the right time displayed on OAP. Smile