Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 5.0
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I need external BT dongle?
Since OpenAuto Pro version 4.0 it is mandatory to use external Bluetooth dongle which is not based on Broadcom chip.

In case you are using OpenAuto Pro version lower thatn 4.0:
There is known issue with internal BT in RPI regarding HFP. However we have manged to solve it.
It means that there is no need to use external USB BT dongle. In order to use BT functionality in OpenAuto Pro like: HFP, A2DP and internet tethering you can stay with internal RPI BT.
Important note is that when using internal Bluetooth you cannot connect additional external USB BT dongle to the RPI.
Nevertheless, we have prepared simple solution for switching between internal and external Bluetooth.
Once you connect external Bluetooth dongle, please execute 
Code:
sudo btswitch external
command in order to activate it.
If you want to go back to internal Bluetooth, execute
Code:
sudo btswitch internal
command. Remember to unplug external dongle.
Hi, There is a bit of confusion here. This post says that external BT dongle is not required. The blog section for AOP 5 says in Notes: It is mandatory to use external Bluetooth dongle which is not based on Broadcom chip.
Can someone please clarify whether it is required.
Currently, i have an external BT dongle suitable for BT4, but it doesnt seem to get detected. What name will it get detected in the Mobile for pairing purpose?
Please advice
PS: I have not yet tried the BT dongle Activation / Deactivation commands as prescribed above as yet.
You are right, we have to also mention it here.

Since OpenAuto Pro version 4.0 it is mandatory to use external Bluetooth dongle which is not based on Broadcom chip.