Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audi MMI 2G High
In this thread we would like to present you a setup of OpenAuto Pro 2.0 in 2005 Audi A8 D3 with MMI 2G High infotainment system on-board. Similar setup can be done in Audi A5, Audi A6 and Audi Q7 as well.

First thing to do was adding a video input device. Mentioned Audi was not equipped with the factory TV Tuner and FBAS connector. Anyway, factory TV tuner was not an option because we wanted to use MMI 2G panel to control OpenAuto Pro. There are plenty of video input adapters for the MMI 2G High so we picked one and installed it in the Audi. Installation process was really simple - the hardest thing to do was removal of glove box (MMI head unit is placed behind it). Later everything was Plug&Play. For the audio input we used similar adapter connected to the CD changer - it supports up to 3 audio sources. Next step was connecting one wire to the head unit harness in order to receive the signal from the buttons panel.

And that's all - clean setup without cutting any wires and drilling Smile.

To activate video signal from Raspberry PI we use NAV button (video adapter that we picked supports it). Video adapter is connected to the Raspberry PI 3 that forwards presses of MMI buttons to it (OpenAuto Pro 2.0 includes this feature). Behind the video signal from Raspberry PI 3 MMI 2G displays navigation screen. In our case navigation screen is basically empty (there is no DVD with maps inserted) that allows to use MMI buttons with OpenAuto Pro without interfering MMI 2G system. When we switch to the Car, CD, Radio (or any other) menu OpenAuto Pro 2.0 stops listening of the buttons panel until we go back to the Navigation screen.

Video

[img]http://bluewavestudio.io/images/forum_co...dapter.jpg[/img]

[img]http://bluewavestudio.io/images/forum_co...ovebox.jpg[/img]

[img]http://bluewavestudio.io/images/forum_co...alled1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://bluewavestudio.io/images/forum_co...alled2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://bluewavestudio.io/images/forum_co...mmi_2g.png[/img]
Hello BlueWave this looks amazing and I want to puchase and install Open Auto version 2.0. I have a 2006 Audi A8 with MMI 2G High. My question is about the following:

BlueWave Wrote:There are plenty of video input adapters for the MMI 2G High so we picked one and installed it in the Audi

Can you provide a link to the video input adapter you used in this implementation?

Would this one be a suitable option: https://car-solutions.com/en/video-inter...upport.php

Lastly, does Open Auto 2.0 support the use of a rear facing (backup) camera?

Thanks!
Yes, it should be suitable. OpenAuto Pro 2.0 does not contain handling of reverse camera (it is planned for future releases). Nevertheless, video adapter that you mentioned includes support of reverse camera.
Here is the list of hardware and software used in the project:

1. OpenAuto Pro 2.0

2. BWS Car power supply with ignition detection for automatic shutdown of the Raspberry PI

3. LVDS Video Adapter. Video adapter is connected between MMI 2G head unit and screen. It is needed for displaying video from Raspberry PI on the factory MMI 2G screen via Composite Video Source. Video adapter has also additional video input for the reverse camera. Factory TV tuner is not needed and also not recommended because project uses buttons panel to control Raspberry PI that interferes with the TV tuner controls.

4. Audio Adapter. This is optional step as audio input can be connected via AUX (if present) or high quality FM transceiver.

5. Raspberry PI 3B+, SD card, case, USB sound card, microphone and Bluetooth 4.0 dongle.

6. TTL logic converter to connect MMI 2G buttons panel to Raspberry PI

7. Others (wires, composite cable, DB9 socket, etc.)

Installation process took about 2 hours. The hardest part is connecting LVD Video adapter to the MMI 2G Head unit and one wire from the head unit harness to the logic converter (in order to read signals from buttons panel) - both steps require removal of the glove box. Audio adapter is connected to the CD Changer and MOST loop.

OpenAuto Pro 2.0 gives access to the Android Auto features like Google Maps, Music players (Spotify, Pandora, Google Music and others), voice commands, hands-free calling. There is also integration with Kodi Media Player for playing music from USB dongles. OpenAuto Pro 2.0 is equipped with MMI 2G skin in order to provide better integration with MMI controls and consistency with factory infotainment system. OpenAuto Pro 2.0, Android Auto and Kodi interfaces are controlled by MMI buttons panel.

Activation of the video signal from Raspberry PI is done by NAV button (video adapter that I have supports it). Video adapter is connected to the Raspberry PI 3 that forwards presses of MMI function buttons (Radio, CD, Car, Tel, etc.) to it - OpenAuto Pro 2.0 includes this feature. Press of the function button triggers video adapter to switch off and press of the NAV button switch it on again. Behind the video signal from Raspberry PI 3 MMI 2G displays navigation screen. In my case navigation screen is basically empty (there is no DVD with maps inserted) that allows to use MMI buttons with OpenAuto Pro without interfering MMI 2G system. When I switch to the Car, CD, Radio (or any other) menu, OpenAuto Pro 2.0 stops listening of the buttons panel until I go back to the Navigation screen.
Hi, can you provide more info re. the "TTL logic converter". A link to a device you used would be helpful. Is this a CANBUS Interface? You say it connects to one wire - which wire? And does it connect to GPIO pins or via the video converter?

I am thinking of a CANBUS shield, tapping into CAN-H and CAN-L on the 'Convenience?' Bus to read the MMI control signals - is that your approach? i am assembling all the hardware components before setting up software and it appears input (MMI, Voice, Touch) is the biggest challenge in my case thx
BlueWave Wrote:Yes, it should be suitable. OpenAuto Pro 2.0 does not contain handling of reverse camera (it is planned for future releases). Nevertheless, video adapter that you mentioned includes support of reverse camera.

Thanks for the reply! I found out the video adapter i reference won't support sound on its own so I'll be upgrading my MMI unit to one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Audi-MMI-Control-...B071QYGHWM

Would I still need the "LVDS Video Adapter" or is this sufficient? This audi head unit has the FBAS for video and I'm told it can connect to the Pi via composite. I don't however know the wiring needed to connect them, any help on that would be appreciated. 

If I stil need the LVDS video adapter can you please provide a link to where it can be purchased.

Also, like Casey I'm lost on the following, please explain about the TTL Logic converter, what type is needed, where to buy and how to connect it for MMI 2G

BlueWave Wrote:6. TTL logic converter to connect MMI 2G buttons panel to Raspberry PI

I'd like to make sure i understand this before i purchase, thanks.
caseyjay Wrote:Hi, can you provide more info re. the "TTL logic converter".  A link to a device you used would be helpful.  Is this a CANBUS Interface?  You say it connects to one wire - which wire?  And does it connect to GPIO pins or via the video converter?

I am thinking of a CANBUS shield, tapping into CAN-H and CAN-L on the 'Convenience?' Bus to read the MMI control signals - is that your approach?  i am assembling all the hardware components before setting up software and it appears input (MMI, Voice, Touch) is the biggest challenge in my case thx

In case of Audi MMI 2G there is used rs232 communication protocol. You have to use rsr232 to ttl adapter. It is very popular so just choose one which is available in your store.
BlueWave Wrote:In case of Audi MMI 2G there is used rs232 communication protocol. You have to use rsr232 to ttl adapter. It is very popular so just choose one which is available in your store.

This looks like the same one that you used in your implementation:

https://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-MAX3232-Se...B00K67XD7Y

Please confirm. 
Also, can you provide some more information on how you completed these steps

BlueWave Wrote:connecting LVD Video adapter to the MMI 2G Head unit and one wire from the head unit harness to the logic converter (in order to read signals from buttons panel) 

It would be great if you could explain in detail with pictures thanks
Yes, we used converter based on MAX3232 chip. Regarding connecting the Video Adapter it depends on adapter itself. Manufacturer of the video adapter should provide the instruction how to connect it. PIN16 of head unit harness is a TX from buttons panel that should be connected to the RX of MAX3232 converter.
BlueWave Wrote:Yes, we used converter based on MAX3232 chip. Regarding connecting the Video Adapter it depends on adapter itself. Manufacturer of the video adapter should provide the instruction how to connect it. PIN16 of head unit harness is a TX from buttons panel that should be connected to the RX of MAX3232 converter.

I understand this is easy for you guys but for me this won't be simple. Can you please provide in detail with photos how Pin 16 must be connected to the MAX3232 converter?

Also, I still need you to confirm whether my MMI unit which has FBAS is all that is needed:

https://www.amazon.com/Audi-MMI-Control-...B071QYGHWM

Or if I still need the LVDS video converter you are using. If so, I need to know how to obtain it