Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 13.1
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replaced old GPS unit in 350z (2006)
Hello everyone,

Just installed OAP on my 350z to replace my old GPS unit!

For this modification, I removed the old unit and re-used the housing to fit in the Raspberry Pi, USB hub, Relay Timer, Relay etc.
I even re-used the old connector to power everything to keep it as close as the stock one.
You can see on the image below that I removed all the old circuits, screen and screen protector but I kept the housing and the female connector.

I then drilled and made cutouts on it to fit the cables and hold everything tight.

Here is the compartment for the USB hub and the USB soundcard. You can also see the thin HDMI ribbon cable which was mandatory to fit in my car as it allows to have a small footprint on the screen connector which didn't fit in the car with a standard one. It also passes throught the case which is a plus !

To wire this up, I used the old connector as said above, which helps a lot to avoid adding wires in the car. And in addition, it is already fused and secured.

The difference between the old screen and the new touchscreen pushed me to design and 3d print an adapter (taking in account the width thickness of the old screen + old screen protector). As it is hidden behind the dash, I didn't take time to make something pretty, I just made it accurate, with various cutouts for cables, light for less material usage and strong to avoid any bending.

As the buck converter didn't fit inside the case, I bolt it on the outer case as there is just enough space inside the dash for it.

Finally, here it is in the car, before cleaning the wires and putting the central console back in.

I also made this modification to be able to connect a jack to the radio and have the sound of the Raspberry. In the future I must think of a way to ground it and get rid of the tape motors to remove any static noise.

----------------------------------------

I want to thank all the community for their help during all this project and especially jhornbr225 who took a lot of his time for me when I was struggling with my FRM01s (yes with a "s").
Speaking of this, I advise anyone who would like to build something similar to this system to take a FRM01 with RV20 written on it as mine. I bought 6 different FRM01 before finding one which behave as expected (function 10 not using T1 and counting in background). So save some time and don't play with luck on this !

If anyone wants the reference of the items I used, here is a list of it:
  •      ITEM                                            LINK              PRICE
  • Raspberry Pi 4 --------------------------- Raspberry --------- 60€
  • Touchscreen 7inch 1024x600 --------- Aliexpress --------- 37€
  • HDMI ribbon cable ---------------------- Aliexpress ---------- 7€ 
  • USB HUB --------------------------------- Aliexpress ---------- 6€ 
  • Small micro USB cable ----------------- Aliexpress ---------- 2€
  • Soundcard UGREEN -------------------- Amazon ----------- 11€
  • Bluetooth USB Adapter ---------------- Amazon ------------  8€
  • MicroSD card 32go --------------------- Amazon ----------- 16€
  • Buck converter 12v-5v ----------------- Aliexpress ---------- 6€
  • Raspberry passive case ---------------- Aliexpress ---------- 7€
  • Microphone ------------------------------ Aliexpress ---------- 4€
  • Diodes IN5408 -------------------------- Aliexpress ---------- 3€
  • 12V/40A Relay -------------------------- Aliexpress ---------- 5€
  • FRM01 12V Timer Relay --------------- Aliexpress ---------- 6€
    TOTAL:                                                                 ~182€
Don't hesitate if you have any question !

Cheers,
Shugi
Thanks you for posting your project. The 350z is a great car. We are glad that you've provided detailed projects description with a total costs.

We hope that you will enjoy further ride with your 305z and OAP.
(03-21-2021, 06:05 PM)Daniel_BlueWave Wrote: Thanks you for posting your project. The 350z is a great car. We are glad that you've provided detailed projects description with a total costs.

We hope that you will enjoy further ride with your 305z and OAP.

I am also making a post on Reddit, so I would be glad if it can give more visibility to OAP!

I have in mind to get the buttons under the screen to work on OAP and Android Auto, I hope it will be possible ! (I didn't check for the moment)
That is nothing short of awesome, well done!
Great job! I love a good OEM integration! Find a way to read those buttons and make them usable!
Thank you GSPW and KreAch3R !

Yes, I'm thinking about it. I need a CAN reader (already ordered) for the Raspberry and I should be able to make them usable!
This looks great!
Question on the bezel that goes around the screen.

Your original stereo was a double din correct?
The new screen isn't quite the same size as the original deck correct?

Did you have to modify the opening?  How did you make it looks so OEM?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1073]
That looks awesome. Nice Job!

Glad to help. It was unfortunate that you had such bad luck with the FRM01's.

Those buttons under the screen, do they do anything else in the car? I'm assuming they did not go directly into the NAV unit. Maybe you could just unplug them from the CAN bus, and then use them directly to GPIO, with some modification. So long as the car does not have any adverse effect by unplugging those buttons. The ECU might throw a code if it's expecting those buttons to be there.

There are a few other projects on here with CAN bus integration, done by smarter people than me. I'm glad I don't have to mess with CAN on mine.
(03-25-2021, 04:52 PM)Chrisfromwa Wrote: This looks great!
Question on the bezel that goes around the screen.

Your original stereo was a double din correct?
The new screen isn't quite the same size as the original deck correct?

Did you have to modify the opening?  How did you make it looks so OEM?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1073]

Thank you ! 
It isn't a double din stereo replacement, I replaced the GPS (or satnav depending how you call it) which was a 7inch screen mounted on a metal case by a 7inch touchscreen with a Raspberry.
No bezels have been added and no modification have been done on the outside.
It is exactly as it was when it was OEM and you actually can tell the different only when the screen is on !

(03-28-2021, 10:52 PM)jhornbr225 Wrote: That looks awesome. Nice Job!

Glad to help. It was unfortunate that you had such bad luck with the FRM01's.

Those buttons under the screen, do they do anything else in the car? I'm assuming they did not go directly into the NAV unit. Maybe you could just unplug them from the CAN bus, and then use them directly to GPIO, with some modification. So long as the car does not have any adverse effect by unplugging those buttons. The ECU might throw a code if it's expecting those buttons to be there.

There are a few other projects on here with CAN bus integration, done by smarter people than me. I'm glad I don't have to mess with CAN on mine.

Thanks !

Yeah, it took me some time to solve this FRM01 issue..

They only communicate with the GPS so it is not an issue to have them disconnected. However I can use a CAN reader to get the input and I will do the modification, but it isn't the priority as I am already pretty happy with it.

I saw some work on a BMW which I think would be really similar to my case ! Ahah I hope CAN isn't that complicated, it should only be a matter of decoding the codes to map them onto keystrokes (I hope).