Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 13.1
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OAP and Wireless CarPlay at last!!!
Daniel just posted this to my inquiry on another thread in the General forum. Looks like wireless Apple CarPlay is coming soon to OpenAuto Pro! Excellent! Great work guys!

https://youtu.be/dXakAFPloac
This is great news. I Want.
It's sad that the Kickstartet didn't gain much traction... Would love to see CarPlay on OAP. Spotify and Google Maps is my main use case.
We also though that it will be more popular and allow us to do some RnD work on this. Apparently, only few people is interested in such solution. Anyway, stay tuned.
I think more people would become interested if Carplay were to be incorporated. Right now an old ipad installed in the dash gives as much or more functionality than OAP with iphone. Problem with an ipad is that you are limited only to those apps approved by Apple and purchased through Apple App Store. With OAP, all the Linux libraries are available. Yes, I think subscribership would increase if Carplay were to become an option.
(03-29-2021, 07:47 PM)tthenrie Wrote: I think more people would become interested if Carplay were to be incorporated. Right now an old ipad installed in the dash gives as much or more functionality than OAP with iphone. Problem with an ipad is that you are limited only to those apps approved by Apple and purchased through Apple App Store. With OAP, all the Linux libraries are available. Yes, I think subscribership would increase if Carplay were to become an option.

Yeah, I have to agree with this as the only way iPhone users use CarPlay on a Raspberry Pi is through Android, and being able to run Carplay as plugin inside an application rather than a whole operating system would appeal to more users.
If you build it - they will come...
(03-29-2021, 06:58 AM)Daniel_BlueWave Wrote: We also though that it will be more popular and allow us to do some RnD work on this. Apparently, only few people is interested in such solution.  Anyway, stay tuned.

I'll keep my eyes open - just to support your effort, I already bought a license before backing the kickstarter. It's a great project, and I'm currently really unhappy with my Kenwood unit. So... Fingers crossed! Smile Meanwhile, I tinker a bit with OAP.
Hey Guys,
I'm very interested in this as well!
Thank you for your work and keep moving!!
Great project!
I think you might’ve started this from the wrong end. A lot of people have no idea what OAP is, and less know that you were interested in adding CarPlay.

I have spent the last couple weeks googling CarPlay and RPi, I even found OAP and dropped it because I was mainly interested in YouTube Music and CarPlay. I also have tested Mopidy etc to get a working solution.

I found a couple of projects with Android on RPi and this same adapter, and another that uses a way to get it working with Raspbian, but it’s far from complete.

Then there’s you guys:
I just now found the kickstarter, after seeing the Kickstarter-ad on YouTube. I had not seen anything about this before.

So I think there are thousands that will be interested in this solution!

And honestly (nothing to do with you) even if I found the Kickstarter at the right time, I wouldn’t back as boycott of Kickstarter. They have had too many successfully backed projects come in and scam people with way to little interaction from Kickstarter. I think there should be less risk for backers.
So as I’ve lost a lot of money on Kickstarter and Indiegogo, either by scammers or wasteful business (Magnetic charger for iPhone, Tiko3D) or by receiving functional cool projects that are quickly killed off (OUYA), I now don’t back/purchase before it is ready. The same pretty much goes for pre-alpha games, with some exceptions.

So I would not back this Kickstarter based on this, but I would purchase a CarPlay plugin when it was available. Even one under development.

Being able to automatically start to CarPlay by plugging in the iPhone and turning on ignition is my goal, and having OAP to be underneath, getting OBD data from my car is great!

I’m adding an RPi screen to my e-Up, as the original stereo is too integrated with the rest of the system in the car. So I’ll use Bluetooth or just a hardwired AUX for audio.

I think OAP is the closest solution, and with CarPlay it definitely is the solution.

I think you have to make it, and tell people what they want.
As there are so many thousands of views on these other projects, using the same adapter, it’s obvious that they might not know anything about OAP, or that a CarPlay plugin was in development. That includes me who has been actively searching for it!

Please reconsider how you will sell this feature.

Also, let me know if I can help as a beta-tester. I’d love to get this tested in my VW e-Up on a RPi 7" monitor.