Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 11
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blown speakers
Hello,

I have a VW Polo 9N from 2003 and was playing music using a Pi -> soundcard -> amplifier -> speakers.

My old radio had 4x 45W maximum output and 4x 25 W output.

Based on those specs I have bought a small amplifier of 2x 30W which I thought would be sufficient: Amplifier

After 10 minutes of music I think i have blown all my speakers in my car, and I have no idea why. Amplifier was kinda hot but not extreme.

Does anyone know what I did wrong and what I should do next time

Thanks
Did you check that impedance of your speakers is compatible with impedance of the amplifier?
(09-16-2020, 05:28 PM)BlueWave Wrote: Did you check that impedance of your speakers is compatible with impedance of the amplifier?

I can not find any specifications of my speakers, but my old radio had 4, 4-8 Ohm impedance. I based the amplifier of this, so it has the same.

For reference:

Old radio Manual (page 18 specs)
Amplifier with specs
(09-17-2020, 07:57 AM)daruud Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 05:28 PM)BlueWave Wrote: Did you check that impedance of your speakers is compatible with impedance of the amplifier?

I can not find any specifications of my speakers, but my old radio had 4, 4-8 Ohm impedance. I based the amplifier of this, so it has the same.

For reference:

Old radio Manual (page 18 specs)
Amplifier with specs
Does the amp have a "gain" try to turn that down.
Chances are if you are taping into your car wiring you are connected to the speakers in parallel.  this means that if the impedence on each speaker is 4 ohms and you are connecting 2 speakers per channel on your amp, the amp sees 2 ohms.  this will draw a great deal of current and most likely blow the fuse in the car or the fused link for the amplifier power line (if equipped and if not PLEASE use one).  Plug your old radio in and see if the audio goes through the speakers as it should.  You can melt the voice coils of your speakers but usually the fuse in the amp power circuit fails first.