Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 11
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and PCF8523 RTC at same time?
I have my RPi 4 with Open Auto 9.0 installed.

I'm using the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HAT, and also the Adafruit PCF8523 RTC break-out board.

The Digi+ uses GPIO 2,3,5,6, and 18-21.  The PCF8523 uses GPIO 2 and 3 (SDA1 and SCL1).

I had soldered pin headers to the breakout on the Digi+ to let me connect my RTC to the correct pins, for power, ground, and GPIO 2 & 3.

When my RTC is connected, I do not have any functioning audio.  I get kernel errors snd-rpi-wm8804 module.  (wm8804 failed to read device id) When I remove the RTC, the Digi+ functions as it should.  Obviously, both devices are conflicting with GPIO 2 & 3.

The HiFiBerry GPIO page indicates that these pins "are used by our products for configuration. If you are experienced with I2C, you might add other slave devices. If you a a novice, we don’t recommend this at all."

I have not done any work to install or configure the PCF8523 break out board, yet.  Is there a way I can make this work?

Thanks!
You might be able to use the second I2C bus on the pi.  See this page.  https://pinout.xyz/pinout/i2c
"The glass is twice as big as it needs to be".
(07-09-2020, 03:23 PM)chozar Wrote: I have my RPi 4 with Open Auto 9.0 installed.

I'm using the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HAT, and also the Adafruit PCF8523 RTC break-out board.

The Digi+ uses GPIO 2,3,5,6, and 18-21.  The PCF8523 uses GPIO 2 and 3 (SDA1 and SCL1).

I had soldered pin headers to the breakout on the Digi+ to let me connect my RTC to the correct pins, for power, ground, and GPIO 2 & 3.

When my RTC is connected, I do not have any functioning audio.  I get kernel errors snd-rpi-wm8804 module.  (wm8804 failed to read device id) When I remove the RTC, the Digi+ functions as it should.  Obviously, both devices are conflicting with GPIO 2 & 3.

The HiFiBerry GPIO page indicates that these pins "are used by our products for configuration. If you are experienced with I2C, you might add other slave devices. If you a a novice, we don’t recommend this at all."

I have not done any work to install or configure the PCF8523 break out board, yet.  Is there a way I can make this work?

Thanks!

Don't be afraid of the warning signs... I am using Hifiberry DAC+ ADC that use also I2C lines. It is shared with the DS3231 RTC without any issues. The memo is to prevent inexperienced users complaining issues on the forum and asking for support for making other device works which aren't their products.
Setup info for troubleshooting:
- Board: RPi 4B with OAP 9.1
- Supply: Official RPi
- Display: 9" 1280x720 IPS/High brightness -> AUO C090EAN01.1
- Touch: GOODIX GT911 over USB
- Sound: HIFIBERRY DAC+ ADC
- Mic: USB Mic
- Bluetooth: CSR8510
- Phone: S8 Active with Android 9.0
- AA v5.4
(08-06-2020, 03:05 AM)ELCouz Wrote: Don't be afraid of the warning signs... I am using Hifiberry DAC+ ADC that use also I2C lines. It is shared with the DS3231 RTC without any issues. The memo is to prevent inexperienced users complaining issues on the forum and asking for support for making other device works which aren't their products.

Thanks, I'll go ahead and try to get this working then.