Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 7.0
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAB+ with RTL-SDR
Hello guys,

i have got a RTL2832U + R820T2 dongle and wanted to try it with Open Auto Pro. Works fine with car antenna + phantom power when connected to my laptop (WIN10). At least while standing, haven't tried it while drinving yet. But when i try to use the dongle with OAP, welle.io gives out "No valid device found use Null device instead".

OAP running on a RPi4

Do i need to install something additional to get this to work? When i run "rtl_test" i get:
Code:
Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Detached kernel driver
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Sampling at 2048000 S/s.

Info: This tool will continuously read from the device, and report if
samples get lost. If you observe no further output, everything is fine.

Reading samples in async mode...
Allocating 15 zero-copy buffers
lost at least 132 bytes
It looks like a power issue. Please try to connect your SDR dongle via powered USB hub.
(03-25-2020, 06:41 PM)Crackface Wrote: Hello guys,

i have got a RTL2832U + R820T2 dongle and wanted to try it with Open Auto Pro. Works fine with car antenna + phantom power when connected to my laptop (WIN10). At least while standing, haven't tried it while drinving yet. But when i try to use the dongle with OAP, welle.io gives out "No valid device found use Null device instead".

OAP running on a RPi4

Do i need to install something additional to get this to work? When i run "rtl_test" i get:
Code:
Found 1 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Detached kernel driver
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6
[R82XX] PLL not locked!
Sampling at 2048000 S/s.

Info: This tool will continuously read from the device, and report if
samples get lost. If you observe no further output, everything is fine.

Reading samples in async mode...
Allocating 15 zero-copy buffers
lost at least 132 bytes

Which dongle do you use?

I see the same message when trying to launch welle.io using my Nooelec NESDR SMArt v4 SDR. I live in the USA, so I can't really test listening to any DAB stations.

Trying to launch welle.io from the command line shows either:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ /usr/local/bin/welle-io-1
Code:
(...)
InputFactory: Input device: "auto"
InputFactory: No valid device found use Null device instead.
RadioController: AGC on
Audio: Volume 1

- or -

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ /usr/local/bin/welle-io-1 -d rtl_sdr
Code:
(...)
InputFactory: Input device: "rtl_sdr"
InputFactory: Unknown device " "rtl_sdr" ".
InputFactory: Error while opening device "rtl_sdr".
RadioController: AGC on
Audio: Volume 1

That makes me think welle.io was compiled without rtl_sdr support (-DRTLSDR=1)? WHAT??

Have you tried using rtl_tcp?
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ /usr/local/bin/welle-io-1 -d rtl_tcp

I don't get any errors when launching welle.io that way, but I also can't test scanning or listening to any channels, so I'm not sure whether or not that will work for you. I'm not familiar with rtl_tcp usage.

Perhaps this is a bug in the old version of welle.io that OAP comes with. I might try compiling the latest version, but it isn't that much use to me here in the USA.

I use a powered USB hub and my dongle works great with rtl_fm. It's not a power issue in my case.
Okay... I can confirm that the latest version of welle.io appears to work with my dongle. Again, I can't find or listen to any stations in the USA, but this is how I did it...

Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ mkdir ~/software
pi@raspberrypi:~ cd ~/software
pi@raspberrypi:~ sudo apt install cmake git
pi@raspberrypi:~ sudo apt install qt5-default qtquickcontrols2-5-dev qtdeclarative5-dev qtmultimedia5-dev libqt5charts5-dev libmp3lame-dev libfftw3-dev libmpg123-dev libsoapysdr-dev librtlsdr-dev libairspy-dev libasound2-dev libfaad-dev
pi@raspberrypi:~ git clone https://github.com/AlbrechtL/welle.io.git
pi@raspberrypi:~ cd welle.io
pi@raspberrypi:~ mkdir build
pi@raspberrypi:~ cd build
pi@raspberrypi:~ cmake .. -DRTLSDR=1 -DAIRSPY=1 -DSOAPYSDR=1
pi@raspberrypi:~ make
pi@raspberrypi:~ sudo make install

Then you can run it from a terminal like this:
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ /usr/local/bin/welle-io

If that works, then you'll probably want to update your OAP applications config file located at /home/pi/.openauto/config/openauto_applications.ini to match the following entry (make sure to update the Path and Arguments lines:

Code:
[Application_3]
Name=Welle.io
Path=/usr/local/bin/welle-io
IconPath=/home/pi/.openauto/icons/icon_welleio.png
Arguments=
Autostart=false
Thanks for the help so far!

@BlueWave
I have tried a powered USB hub, but the only difference it makes is that i don't get any lost bytes with "rtl_test". Still No valid device found in welle.io. I also threw the SD-Card into a Rpi3, same thing. 

@ktb
I have compiled version 2.0-Beta 2 as you described, but i still get "No valid device" on that version. Btw this is just a cheapo dongle from amazon.
(03-25-2020, 11:29 PM)Crackface Wrote: Thanks for the help so far!

@BlueWave
I have tried a powered USB hub, but the only difference it makes is that i don't get any lost bytes with "rtl_test". Still No valid device found in welle.io. I also threw the SD-Card into a Rpi3, same thing. 

@ktb
I have compiled version 2.0-Beta 2 as you described, but i still get "No valid device" on that version. Btw this is just a cheapo dongle from amazon.
Hmmm... is there a reason you chose to compile version 2.0 Beta 2? I can't say whether or not the version I compiled would make any difference.

The version (as shown from the main menu --> About) I compiled is:
welle.io version: 2.1
Git revision: 8fc5739
Build on: Wed Mar 25 17:19:57 2020
QT version: 5.11.3
Hey ktb,

no reason, must have srewed something up yesterday. Compiled it again today and now it works with version 2.1. But i had to connect directly to the USB port of the Raspberry Pi. When i had the powered USB hub in between it didn't find any stations and was stuck on 1% while scanning.

However it works now, thanks man! Will try it in my car in the next couple of days.
(03-26-2020, 11:46 AM)Crackface Wrote: Hey ktb,

no reason, must have srewed something up yesterday. Compiled it again today and now it works with version 2.1. But i had to connect directly to the USB port of the Raspberry Pi. When i had the powered USB hub in between it didn't find any stations and was stuck on 1% while scanning.

However it works now, thanks man! Will try it in my car in the next couple of days.
Cool. Good to hear. Is that powered hub USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? I'm only asking because I've read advice from at least a few people who say to make sure to use USB 2.0 ports for SDR dongles. I'm not sure why.
(03-26-2020, 03:20 PM)ktb Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 11:46 AM)Crackface Wrote: Hey ktb,

Cool. Good to hear. Is that powered hub USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? I'm only asking because I've read advice from at least a few people who say to make sure to use USB 2.0 ports for SDR dongles. I'm not sure why.
Sorry for the late reply. It is a powered USB 2.0 hub