Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 12
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you using for a reversing camera
So I'm about to add a reversing camera to my setup, and wanted to know what everyone is using and what the quality is like.

I'm using an RPi 4 4Gb and RPi official touch screen in my car, and want to add a reversing camera that has a slim profile and is weatherproof. 

I have a 4 door sedan, with a recessed number plate section between the rear lights same as below (not my actual car, but same model).

[Image: Toyota_Cressida_%28MX83%29%2C_gray.jpg]

I see some people use aftermarket reversing cameras and capture cards, but they get mixed results. I was hoping to use the official camera module, as I've already got the CSI to HDMI adaptors and a 10M HDMI cable. Failing that, has anyone used a wireless reversing camera on their installs?
(02-13-2020, 12:03 AM)jzxpacky Wrote: So I'm about to add a reversing camera to my setup, and wanted to know what everyone is using and what the quality is like.

I'm using an RPi 4 4Gb and RPi official touch screen in my car, and want to add a reversing camera that has a slim profile and is weatherproof. 

I have a 4 door sedan, with a recessed number plate section between the rear lights same as below (not my actual car, but same model).

I see some people use aftermarket reversing cameras and capture cards, but they get mixed results. I was hoping to use the official camera module, as I've already got the CSI to HDMI adaptors and a 10M HDMI cable. Failing that, has anyone used a wireless reversing camera on their installs?
I am also curious to hear others responses to this.
what about something like this ... sorry have no link for a US shop

https://shop.luis.de/rueckfahrkamera/lui...amera.html
(02-24-2020, 03:52 PM)botswanabub Wrote: what about something like this ... sorry have no link for a US shop

https://shop.luis.de/rueckfahrkamera/lui...amera.html
That looks very nice. Expensive, but nice. If the 5 meter cable is long enough for a given setup and it is compatible with Linux (it doesn't say anything about compatibility), then it seems like a decent option.

I'm working on creating a custom rear VW (Volkswagen) badge that will house the Pi Camera V2 (modified with a wide angle lens module) and connected with CSI to HDMI adapters, a 9-inch flat HDMI flex cable with 90-degree connector, HDMI coupler and 20 foot flat shielded HDMI cable. I haven't figured out lighting (in case tail lights do not provide enough illumination).
Since I posted this, I went a different way. I ended up going with this camera and connected to the Pi with this usb capture card.

I'm going to retrofit the camera into the location I want it, but preliminary testing shows that it all works perfectly for my application, and it is relatively inexpensive.
perhaps you can use something like this for your Toyota

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-24-2020, 10:51 PM)jzxpacky Wrote: Since I posted this, I went a different way. I ended up going with this camera and connected to the Pi with this usb capture card.

I'm going to retrofit the camera into the location I want it, but preliminary testing shows that it all works perfectly for my application, and it is relatively inexpensive.

did that capture card worked for you in OA without any issues?
(02-25-2020, 09:03 AM)botswanabub Wrote: perhaps you can use something like this for your Toyota

That's quite similar to what I bought. There was nothing off the shelf I found that was a direct fit. The one I got was from a Honda.

(02-25-2020, 05:39 PM)cantonebiat Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 10:51 PM)jzxpacky Wrote: Since I posted this, I went a different way. I ended up going with this camera and connected to the Pi with this usb capture card.

Yes worked as soon as I plugged it in. Didn't have to change anything or set it up at all.
(02-25-2020, 07:44 PM)jzxpacky Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 09:03 AM)botswanabub Wrote: perhaps you can use something like this for your Toyota

That's quite similar to what I bought. There was nothing off the shelf I found that was a direct fit. The one I got was from a Honda.

(02-25-2020, 05:39 PM)cantonebiat Wrote:

Yes worked as soon as I plugged it in. Didn't have to change anything or set it up at all.
Strange, i have the exact one, but cant seem to get it to work in OA, but i works fine if i run it in VLC