Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 6.1
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using SSD for storage etc?
Has anyone here done this with their system? 

I heard you can copy everything but the 'boot' folder to an external ssd(usb3) and this could increase performance, etc as well as provide ample storage.

Just curious if anyone has tried it.

Cheers~!
It is possible to write the entire system onto the ssd and boot from it.  Instructions are available on youtube.  I built one system like that and had a few issues with it.  First and foremost was power.  You must have a power supply that does not dip below 5.2 volts and can provide over 3 amps.  Second you must have room to put it.  My most recent system I have gone back to a large SD card.  It may be faster and it sure is easier not to have to find a place to put something else in tight quarters.
(02-11-2020, 06:47 PM)GFunkbus76 Wrote: Has anyone here done this with their system? 

I heard you can copy everything but the 'boot' folder to an external ssd(usb3) and this could increase performance, etc as well as provide ample storage.

Just curious if anyone has tried it.

Cheers~!
Yes. I use a Samsung T5.

If you are using a Pi 4B, that is correct. Raspberry Pi 4B does not (yet) support booting from USB devices (The boot partition files must be on a microSD card). The root partition can be located on an USB-connected drive. Performance and reliability is improved in my experience.

Some older Pi models (2B v1.2, 3A+, 3 B, 3B+) do support USB booting and for those models both boot and root partitions can be located on a USB-connected drive. Though the Raspberry Pi 4B will support directly booting from USB drives in the future, that feature may only deliver more reliability, and the convenience of having both partitions on one storage device. From what I've read, the fastest boot method will still be to have your boot partition on a microSD card (even when USB booting becomes possible on the Pi 4B).

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...des/msd.md
Yes, I've got the 4b. Great, I'll eventually line up an SSD or harvest one from my old Bitcoin miner... Lol. Sounds promising for general speed improvements and storage for music, vids etc.

Thanks!!
Regarding OAP software, what kind of improvements are you expecting anyway? Just asking, because I don't think there's anything you could benefit by using USB3 speed. Boot up time won't be faster, and the system itself doesn't need the resources needed for usb3.
Raspberry Pi 4b-4gb / Official 7" touchscreen / OAP 5.0 / Honor 8x (AndroidAuto 5.) / USB sound card / USB microphone
(02-12-2020, 11:00 PM)skrimo Wrote: Regarding OAP software, what kind of improvements are you expecting anyway? Just asking, because I don't think there's anything you could benefit by using USB3 speed. Boot up time won't be faster, and the system itself doesn't need the resources needed for usb3.

Can't really say I'm expecting anything. Should have just bought a cheap head unit... Bit here I am months later slowly plodding along with no direction haha...

Also, my sd card is 32gb. Will probably just use a flash drive for simple storage until I'm actually using the unit in my vehicle. I'm a test bencher at this point. My project car is looking term and I fall into rabbit holes... I'm here now because I was going to use a8 channel relay board in my rewiring..... Ended up discovering Arduino... Then Pi... Then open auto etc.... Now I'm trying to make my 70s vw bus a smart bus of sorts lol... While finishing the diesel conversion etc....

So yeah, my projects tend to ramble in the wind with my interests lol. Just wanted to see others experience with it.

Thanks for all your work on the forums (YouTube also maybe?).

Cheers!