Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 12
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safe shut down powersupply
(01-09-2021, 07:26 PM)Milton_P Wrote: Hello everyone, i ran into a lot of issues trying to figure out how to make this setup work, im not an electronics expert so please bare with me.

First of all my switch looks a little different then yours but as far as i know it should be able to do basically the same stuff I'm just useless at fiddling around with wires.

I have the timer configured, the as soon as the trigger (ignition) losses power the countdown starts, but for the living hell i cannot figure out which wires go were all i have is POWER IN and the trigger. I'm attaching a picture of the timer i have so you guys can help me with this because i just gave up with my Mausberry, it works sometimes and sometimes it does not, I'm honestly tired of it.

In advance thank you all.

Never mind, figure it out on my own, so far is working good, still on the bench, ill be installing it on the car tonight. 

Another question though, What lines can I add to the script in order to turn off the display? it would be great if I can park in a underground parking lot without people telling me the car is on or something. again, thanks in advance.
Hello, I made the same system however, if I do the same thing for the wire going from 12V OUT to 12V IN with the diodes, I got a short circuit. Is it an error on the drawing ?
I initially made kind of the same system without the 2 diodes between 12V IN and the Trigger and with the 12V IN just connected to the same as the 12V IN (battery) and it worked well.
Can someone explain me this part of the drawing and the role of the diodes between the trigger / 12V IN  and why the 12V IN is connected to the trigger?

Thank you in advance !
(01-17-2021, 04:15 PM)Shugi Wrote: Hello, I made the same system however, if I do the same thing for the wire going from 12V OUT to 12V IN with the diodes, I got a short circuit. Is it an error on the drawing ?
I initially made kind of the same system without the 2 diodes between 12V IN and the Trigger and with the 12V IN just connected to the same as the 12V IN (battery) and it worked well.
Can someone explain me this part of the drawing and the role of the diodes between the trigger / 12V IN  and why the 12V IN is connected to the trigger?

Thank you in advance !

Hi Shugi, make sure the diodes are following the current flow, the whole point of the diodes is to tell the current which direction it should flow, if you see the drawing you'll notice that the diodes are represented by the arrows, that's the direction the electricity must follow.

Hopefully this diagram will help you.
(01-17-2021, 05:40 PM)Milton_P Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 04:15 PM)Shugi Wrote: Hello, I made the same system however, if I do the same thing for the wire going from 12V OUT to 12V IN with the diodes, I got a short circuit. Is it an error on the drawing ?

Thank you in advance !

Hi Shugi, make sure the diodes are following the current flow, the whole point of the diodes is to tell the current which direction it should flow, if you see the drawing you'll notice that the diodes are represented by the arrows, that's the direction the electricity must follow.

Thank you for your fast answer ! 
You were right, I messed up with the diode direction on the relay!

However, I did the following circuit which worked thinking that the issue came from connecting the trigger to the 12V IN and 12V OUT as in the drawing done by Wynand.

Could you tell me how I should connect my DC and NO to achieve the same as his system? I don't understand how it would work on his schematic because when the Ignition Switch will be turned off, it will close open the timer output and directly shut the relay and therefore the Raspberry without being able to wait. I am surely missunderstanding something and I'm really not good in electricity, but I am learning, so if you could help me to understand this, I would highly appreciate it! 

I think I just understood it... The trigger turn the Timer on which closes the NO contact and power the USB converter to power the PI. When the Ignition is turned off, the Timer can rely on the 12V OUT to power itself and count before opening the NO contact and therefore powering off the USB converter and itself by the same way which therefore draws 0 current when not used. Is that it?

It is a genius and easy system in fact ! 

I will try later the drawing I did for my timer, I hope it is how it works and that it will not short again.

Thank you again for your time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-17-2021, 07:34 PM)Shugi Wrote:

Thank you in advance !

However, I did the following circuit which worked thinking that the issue came from connecting the trigger to the 12V IN and 12V OUT as in the drawing done by Wynand.

Could you tell me how I should connect my DC and NO to achieve the same as his system? I don't understand how it would work on his schematic because when the Ignition Switch will be turned off, it will close open the timer output and directly shut the relay and therefore the Raspberry without being able to wait. I am surely missunderstanding something and I'm really not good in electricity, but I am learning, so if you could help me to understand this, I would highly appreciate it! 

I think I just understood it... The trigger turn the Timer on which closes the NO contact and power the USB converter to power the PI. When the Ignition is turned off, the Timer can rely on the 12V OUT to power itself and count before opening the NO contact and therefore powering off the USB converter and itself by the same way which therefore draws 0 current when not used. Is that it?

I will try later the drawing I did for my timer, I hope it is how it works and that it will not short again.

Hi Sgugi, you made a mistake in your drawing, your drawing shows the NO (Normally Openreceiving the 12V from your battery, the NO is supposed to send power to the timer, the COM (common) is what receives the 12V. When is triggered it will send power to the buck converter and when the trigger is turned off it will start the countdown until it turns it off.

Hopefully this info helps you.
(01-18-2021, 11:32 AM)Milton_P Wrote:
(01-17-2021, 07:34 PM)Shugi Wrote:

Thank you in advance !

I think I just understood it... The trigger turn the Timer on which closes the NO contact and power the USB converter to power the PI. When the Ignition is turned off, the Timer can rely on the 12V OUT to power itself and count before opening the NO contact and therefore powering off the USB converter and itself by the same way which therefore draws 0 current when not used. Is that it?

Hi Sgugi, you made a mistake in your drawing, your drawing shows the NO (Normally Openreceiving the 12V from your battery, the NO is supposed to send power to the timer, the COM (common) is what receives the 12V. When is triggered it will send power to the buck converter and when the trigger is turned off it will start the countdown until it turns it off.

Hopefully this info helps you.

Hello,
Oops, yes that's right, thank you a lot for your help !
I made the correction and will try it.

Indeed, you hugely helped me !
Have a nice day
What timer mode is required for this? and how long do you typically set the timer for?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

P6

However long you want the power on after turning off your ignition.
"The glass is twice as big as it needs to be".
(01-09-2021, 07:26 PM)Milton_P Wrote: Hello everyone, i ran into a lot of issues trying to figure out how to make this setup work, im not an electronics expert so please bare with me.

First of all my switch looks a little different then yours but as far as i know it should be able to do basically the same stuff I'm just useless at fiddling around with wires.

I have the timer configured, the as soon as the trigger (ignition) losses power the countdown starts, but for the living hell i cannot figure out which wires go were all i have is POWER IN and the trigger. I'm attaching a picture of the timer i have so you guys can help me with this because i just gave up with my Mausberry, it works sometimes and sometimes it does not, I'm honestly tired of it.

hello Milton. could you please explain to me how you wired this timer?
(01-20-2021, 05:53 PM)djdtoxx Wrote:

hello Milton. could you please explain to me how you wired this timer?
nevermind. I figured it out
thanx anyway.