Current version of the OpenAuto Pro is 6.1
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pi Fisheye Camera 90 degrees. SOLVED
SOLVED by release of 3.3.2 RC which allows you to make a rotation setting.

I've got a pi fisheye camera and a waterproof case for a reversing camera.  The problem I have is that it fits in the case best when turned 90 degrees. How do I configure the camera to flip the images 90 degrees?
Never mind .... trying to waterproof the pi cam resulted in trashing the cam. I'm back to the beginning.
(08-31-2019, 01:04 AM)Frank Wrote: Never mind .... trying to waterproof the pi cam resulted in trashing the cam. I'm back to the beginning.

Sorry to hear that. Which camera did you use?
Ive been considering one of these of recent: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Raspberry-Pi-1080P-Camera-Module-Board-5MP-175-Fish-Eye-IR-CUT-Night-Vision/253646312242?epid=23005061166&hash=item3b0e7f9332:g:~TsAAOSwWw1bB7Yg
For me, I ended up jerry-rigging a pi cam using black rubber adhesive to water seal the exposed circuit board. I was able to mold it like putty to cover the board, while also using it to help affix the camera to the car so it didn't dangle in the wind. I don't really have a part # to give you (I literally ripped off the back of some dynamat), but there's tons of options out there so give it a shot. The camera uses a thin ribbon cable, so I dremeled a slot in my license plate illumination light and stuck it there. The light provides enough ambient light to see the camera well at night.

Hope that helps. The optimal solution would be to 3d print something, but unfortunately I lack 3d printing skills. But my rubber adhesive solution made it through Florida storm season last year & never had a single issue.

Also consider glue/epoxy used to repair drones. They're typically meant for high temps & all weather conditions. Get some in black & just paint the board with it. I used some drone glue to protect my cpu when I de-lidded it and it's been fantastic.

also fyi - you don't need a night vision cam. I tried one & it looked like shit - both the image quality (which makes everything look pink) as well as the goofy spotlights on the side. Just buy a regular wide angle cam, and stick it near your license plate light. The license plate light will provide sufficient illumination, and the image quality won't suffer due to the IR filter.
(08-31-2019, 04:23 PM)ricopicouk Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 01:04 AM)Frank Wrote: Never mind .... trying to waterproof the pi cam resulted in trashing the cam. I'm back to the beginning.

Sorry to hear that. Which camera did you use?
Ive been considering one of these of recent: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Raspberry-Pi-1080P-Camera-Module-Board-5MP-175-Fish-Eye-IR-CUT-Night-Vision/253646312242?epid=23005061166&hash=item3b0e7f9332:g:~TsAAOSwWw1bB7Yg
I considered that one as well until someone reported that the backup lights drowned out the night vision.  I'm stuck at the moment.  Id prefer to go with the pi camera but there does not exist an outdoor case for the camera alone.  I asked the pi store people and they confirmed.  So for the moment, like you, I'm spending my time asking what everyone else is doing :-)  The camera I tried worked well before application of the silicon.  It's:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VPDX4N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(09-03-2019, 07:52 AM)Hisma Wrote: For me, I ended up jerry-rigging a pi cam using black rubber adhesive to water seal the exposed circuit board.  I was able to mold it like putty to cover the board, while also using it to help affix the camera to the car so it didn't dangle in the wind.  I don't really have a part # to give you (I literally ripped off the back of some dynamat), but there's tons of options out there so give it a shot.  The camera uses a thin ribbon cable, so I dremeled a slot in my license plate illumination light and stuck it there.  The light provides enough ambient light to see the camera well at night. 

Hope that helps.  The optimal solution would be to 3d print something, but unfortunately I lack 3d printing skills.  But my rubber adhesive solution made it through Florida storm season last year & never had a single issue.

Also consider glue/epoxy used to repair drones.  They're typically meant for high temps & all weather conditions.  Get some in black & just paint the board with it.  I used some drone glue to protect my cpu when I de-lidded it and it's been fantastic.

also fyi - you don't need a night vision cam.  I tried one & it looked like shit - both the image quality (which makes everything look pink) as well as the goofy spotlights on the side.  Just buy a regular wide angle cam, and stick it near your license plate light.  The license plate light will provide sufficient illumination, and the image quality won't suffer due to the IR filter.
Thank you for your reply.  That was the direction I was taking as well after I confirmed from the Pi Store that an exterior grade camera case does not exist.  So I tried a license plate holder that the camera came very close to fitting into and mounted the camera board in the case surrounded in silicone sealant.  It never worked again after that!  Maybe I siliconed the contacts!  IDK.   I've got an old Roxio VHS to DVD usb stick with an RCA video plug.  I'm thinking about trying it out on one of the standard license plate cameras that have the RCA plug.   Stay safe in Florida ... the hurricane has been stalled there for so long, it qualifies for adoption!