BlueWave Studio forum
Correct bluetooth adapter - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: Bluetooth features (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-72.html)
+---- Forum: General topic (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-78.html)
+---- Thread: Correct bluetooth adapter (/thread-3445.html)

Pages: 1 2

Correct bluetooth adapter - dood_son - 06-06-2022

Hello,

I've been trying to sort out my bluetooth connection for some time already. Not much luck:

1. An ASUS adapter - theoretically works, but produces pronounced distortions while in a call (I've started a separate thread about it, here).

Full specification:

BCM20702A0:

Product ID: 0x17cb
  Vendor ID: 0x0b05  (ASUSTek Computer Inc.)
  Version: 1.12
  Serial Number: 5CF370A6C81F
  Speed: Up to 12Mb/sec
  Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp
  Location ID: 0x14100000 / 4
  Current Available (mA): 500
  Current Required (mA): 100
  Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

2. A CSR 5.0 adapter - is not recognized by the Raspberry Pi (clicking on "Menu" --> "Preferences" --> "Bluetooth Manager") does nothing. The manager does not start and my iPhone does not discover the adapter.

Full specification:

CSR8510 A10:

Product ID: 0x0001
  Vendor ID: 0x0a12  (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)
  Version: 25.20
  Location ID: 0x14200000 / 7

3. A CSR 4.0 adapter - exactly the same results as for CSR 5.0. The mystery became quickly solved by checking the full specification (using a Macbook):

CSR8510 A10:

Product ID: 0x0001
  Vendor ID: 0x0a12  (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)
  Version: 25.20
  Location ID: 0x14200000 / 8

It seems like 2. and 3. are exactly the same chip - despite being sold as 4.0 and 5.0. Photo:

CSR 4.0 and CSR 5.0

In case anyone wonders if the full specification is not a mistake: no, I have plugged them both simultaneously and got two identical readings in the System Report under USB tab on a Macbook. I recon that the CSR 4.0 adapter that I have is actually the 5.0 in a different outer shell. I hope it is not the other way around.

QUESTIONS:

1. Does anyone know what is the full specification of a fully supported bluetooth adapter (a CSR 4.0, I pressume)?
Please be so kind and paste it in comments Smile I need to know what I am dealing here with: two 4.0s or two 5.0s?

2. Does anyone have an adapter that works and is fully tested with the OpenAuto Pro environment for sale? I will gladly buy. This shoot-and-miss bluetooth competition has already been a month...!

RE: Correct bluetooth adapter - BlueWave - 06-06-2022

In all of our reference setups we use CSR8510 A10 from different sources. All of them work as expected. Are your CSR dongles genuine ones?

RE: Correct bluetooth adapter - dood_son - 06-06-2022

(06-06-2022, 08:23 PM)BlueWave Wrote: In all of our reference setups we use CSR8510 A10 from different sources. All of them work as expected. Are your CSR dongles genuine ones?

How can I be sure? One is bought from Aliexpress ("5.0"), one from OLX ("4.0"). I also had one more "5.0", bought from Allegro, that was completely dead on arrival - no computer (Mac, PC or RPi) could detect it so I didn't bother mentioning it in the original message. I've thrown it away the same day it arrived.

Two things are certain:

1. My iPhone 8 (fully functional, healthy - I have no reason to think it could be damaged) does not recognize any of the two CSR adapters that I have.
2. Raspberry Pi 4b cannot launch the Bluetooth Manager app when either of these adapters are plugged in.

Can you recommend a source to buy from?

or

Could you send me one that works - I'd pay? I could send you the two that I have for tests - if that would be of any value to you.

RE: Correct bluetooth adapter - BlueWave - 06-06-2022

What do you mean exactly by "Raspberry Pi cannot launch the Bluetooth Manager app"? How do you pair your phone with the Rpi? Try steps from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr_2XCsp90A

RE: Correct bluetooth adapter - dood_son - 06-07-2022

(06-06-2022, 09:26 PM)BlueWave Wrote: What do you mean exactly by "Raspberry Pi cannot launch the Bluetooth Manager app"? How do you pair your phone with the Rpi? Try steps from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr_2XCsp90A

1. "Raspberry Pi cannot launch the Bluetooth Manager app":

If OpenAuto Pro is supposed to make use of the USB adapter it should be visible to the Raspberry's OS, right? At least that's what I am able to achieve with the Asus / Broadcom adapter:

With the ASUS / Broadcom adapter plugged in I am able to launch the native, Raspberry Pi OS' app called "Bluetooth Manager" ("Menu" in upper left screen corner --> "Preferences" --> "Bluetooth Manager"). With both of the CSR adapters plugged in, after clicking my way to "Bluetooth Manager" I only get a pop-up window telling me that Bluetooth needs to be enabled to use the "Bluetooth Manager" and there are buttons that say "Enable Bluetooth" or "Cancel". After hitting "Enable Bluetooth" nothing happens.

2. How do you pair your phone with the Rpi?

With the CSR adapters that I have it is not possible. The CSR bluetooth adapters are not visible to my iPhone. They are also not visible to a fully functional, factory wiped, Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite running pure Android 10. After doing as in the linked video I get a message that says:

"Please use your phone to start searching for Bluetooth devices. The device will identify itself as"

There is nothing after "as". With the ASUS / Broadcom chip it says "OpenAuto Pro" in bold letters.

The full specification of my setup is:

Carlinkit CPC-200 (wireless version, firmware: 2021.12.22.1647CAY) and:

a. What is the version of your RPI: RPi 4b
b. Power supply details: 45W USB-C european plug
c. Model of external sound card: U-Green (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32507625...1802zjirMQ)
d. Do you have microphone input: Yes
e. Details of your Bluetooth dongle: 3 adapters to choose from (1xASUS, 2xCSR - as in the orginal post)
f. Touchscreen model: Wisecoco 5.5" (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10050026...1802DQkH7M)

Clearly, the RPi doesn't recognize the CSR dongles. Neither do any of my phones (iPhones and Androids). The only partial luck I get is the ASUS dongle (why partially? Please see the thread that I started: https://bluewavestudio.io/community/thread-3416.html)

Any idea what is happening here?

RE: Correct bluetooth adapter - BlueWave - 06-07-2022

Did you install any additional software or did any modifications in config file? Did you update Raspberry PI OS to the latest version using apt tool? Did you update Pis firmware to the latest version?

Have you ever used rpi-update tool?

RE: Correct bluetooth adapter - dood_son - 06-08-2022

(06-07-2022, 08:14 PM)BlueWave Wrote: Did you install any additional software or did any modifications in config file? Did you update Raspberry PI OS to the latest version using apt tool? Did you update Pis firmware to the latest version?

Have you ever used rpi-update tool?

1. Did you install any additional software or did any modifications in config file?

No.

2. Did you update Raspberry PI OS to the latest version using apt tool?

No, shall I?

3. Did you update Pis firmware to the latest version?

No, shall I?

4. Have you ever used rpi-update tool?

No.

All the "tweaks" that I had done are:

1. enabling custom splash screens (from the package purchased from you)
2. sound (I have changed one value in PulseAudio'a default.pa file)
3. showing the mouse coursor (sudo bwscursor show)
4. hiding the trash icon on desktop (edited the file at /etc/xdg/pcmanfm/LXDE-pi/desktop-items-0.conf)

Are there are any log files that I could provide you with to help solve the problem?

RE: Correct bluetooth adapter - BlueWave - 06-08-2022

Try to update then OS via apt-update and apt-upgrade commands and firmware using rpi-eeprom-upgrade command.

Do not use rpi-update tool.

RE: Correct bluetooth adapter - dood_son - 06-20-2022

(06-08-2022, 08:53 PM)BlueWave Wrote: Try to update then OS via apt-update and apt-upgrade commands and firmware using rpi-eeprom-upgrade command.

Do not use rpi-update tool.

Ok, I did the above:

In Terminal:
1. sudo apt update
2. sudo apt full-upgrade

Both commands went smooth.

The effect is both of the CSR dongles are now recognised by the RPi. I can pair my iPhone with the RPi using the Bluetooth Manager. When looking into "Telephone" --> "Paired" my iPhone shows up on the list. So there is some success.

However, the other problem remains:

Now both of the CSR dongles produce the same distorted audio as the ASUS one.

I started wondering if this could be caused by an adapter that I use to connect my TRRS microphone to the UGREEN soundcard that has TRS-in? The adapter is like this one.

RE: Correct bluetooth adapter - dood_son - 06-20-2022

I have done some more checking with all the dongles that I have (1x ASUS / Broadcom chip, 2x CSR / CSR8510 A10 chips). Some things that I've noticed:

1. I can never fully recreate the steps shown in the tutorial video:

* I can follow up until 0:46 (video time) when the phone starts to look for a device called "OpenAuto Pro".
* "OpenAuto Pro" never shows up - endless spinning symbol in the Bluetooth menu's subsection called "Other devices" and OpenAuto Pro just never shows up.
* In effect, the pop-up window on RPI saying that a device wants to connect and asking whether the code matches never shows up.

2. Thanks to the updates suggested in BlueWave's post (06-08-2022, 08:53 PM) I have managed to get the CSR dongles running. Making a phone call with them hooked up to the RPi produces the same type of distorted audio as with the ASUS dongle.

3. Because of what I have described in [1] I've been looking into different ways to pair my iPhone with OpenAuto Pro. The only other way that I know of is to use RPi's native Bluetooth Manager (RPi Menu --> Preferences --> Bluetooth Manager). Clicking "Search" on the RPi will bring up my iPhone and allow the devices to pair (my phone will show the verification code and after confirming that they are correct on both devices they will both see each other as paired), but if I wanted to get the pairing process done from the other end (meaning: click on "OpenAuto Pro" on my iPhone) this would never be possible as "OpenAuto Pro" just does not show up in the "Bluetooth menu" / "Other devices" (just as described in [1]).

4. Moreover, both CSR dongles create an error message when asked to "Search" [3] after a fresh boot-up of the RPi. In order to apparently fix this issue it is enough to remove the dongle from the RPi and plug it back in. Then the "Search" and "Pair" steps described in [3] are possible. Such an error is never produced by the ASUS dongle.

5. CarPlay will start even when the "OpenAuto-Pro" dongle is NOT paired. That makes me think that the "distorted audio" problem that I've been experiencing with the ASUS dongle, and now also both CSR dongles connected to the RPi, is actually the effect of a phone call being made without any connection to the "OpenAuto Pro" Bluetooth dongle rather than a somewhat improper connection.

Could this be true?

This idea comes from the fact that I have also noticed that after having my phone and RPi paired using the method described in [2] the "OpenAuto-Pro" always stays "Not Connected" in my iPhone's Bluetooth menu (while CarPlay is running or at any other time). At the same time "Autokit-35ea" will connect briefly to my iPhone while CarPlay is starting up - after that it will instantly disconnect to also display "Not Connected".

Is this normal?

Dear BlueWave, please help!