BlueWave Studio forum
Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: OBD-II (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-103.html)
+--- Thread: Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? (/thread-2858.html)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - Chrisfromwa - 08-09-2021

Hello,
I've been messing around with the OBD options and got some stuff working,  but running into issues with a few PIDs.
Hoping maybe someone else on here might have the same rig as me,  or something similar that can help.

I have a 2004 4Runner V8.
I cannot seem to get the Transmission Temp to display.

Reading several forums,  it sounds like there is a sensor for it and some people say they have gotten it to work with
either PID

21D9
or

but I don't get any data from either of those, anyone know how to get this info into OAP?

Also does anyone know if it's possible to calculate the average MPG since the start of the drive?

Thanks!
Chris

RE: Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - BlueWave - 08-09-2021

Reading some "manufacturer-specific" PIDs may require switching to the special diagnostic mode. It can be done by querying unique PID prior the desired one (some VAG cars) or switching the CAN header.

RE: Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - Chrisfromwa - 08-09-2021

Thanks for the reply,  really trying to learn this stuff but it's really confusing.

I've been reading this page on the 4Runner page
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/146434-trying-make-sense-t4r-obd-can-pid-codes.html
Seems like some people have gotten it to work in Torque

I'm seeing stuff like this
Quote:Back to the ATF example. Let's query with:
7DF 21 D9
7E8 61 D9 00 00 00 00 62 20 61 80

Dissecting this looks like:
(7DF) transmit ID (21) Toyota custom command mode (D9) ATF Temp PID code
(7E8) listen ID (61) 21h+40h (D9) ATP Temp PID (00) A byte (00) B byte (00) C byte (00) D byte (62) E byte (20) F byte (61) G byte (80) H byte
And the formula is:
Trans Pan Temp (deg F)= ((((E*256)+F)*(7/100)-400)/10)
Torque Conv Outlet Temp (deg F) = ((((G*256)+H)*(7/100)-400)/10)

and then also stuff like this

Quote:2005 to 2009 Transmission (A750E/F) Temperatures
Command Code: 21
PID: D9
Formula: Trans Pan Temp (deg F)= ((((E*256)+F)*(7/100)-400)/10)
Torque Conv Outlet Temp (deg F) = ((((G*256)+H)*(7/100)-400)/10)

Then I also found mention that the scangaugeII can read transtemp
https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/toyota-lexus-scion/
TXD: 07E021D9
RXF: 032100000000
RXD: 1808
MTH: 00090005FFD8

On this page,  you're supposed to be able to take the above and convert them into something Torque could use (would we also be able to use it in OAP?)
https://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=352.0

None of this is making any sense.  Does anyone see anything in any of the above,  that can be used in OAP?

RE: Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - jhornbr225 - 08-15-2021

I've used Torque Pro, (not the free one, it didn't work), to get the trans temp on my 05 Tacoma. There's no dipstick, so to change the tranny fluid, you have to heat it up to the right temp, and then pull the check plug and when it just dribbles out, you have the right level.

I'll have to get out my Fire tablet to see what PID I used.

RE: Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - Chrisfromwa - 08-16-2021

(08-15-2021, 01:03 AM)jhornbr225 Wrote: I've used Torque Pro, (not the free one, it didn't work), to get the trans temp on my 05 Tacoma. There's no dipstick, so to change the tranny fluid, you have to heat it up to the right temp, and then pull the check plug and when it just dribbles out, you have the right level.

I'll have to get out my Fire tablet to see what PID I used.

Thanks I would really appreciate it. 
The 4Runner has a similar transmission as in it's sealed.  From what I've read it has 2 sensors,  and with programs like Torque pro you and similar programs people are able to get the data from them.  Just not sure how to do it with OAP.

I'm also trying to figure out how to get some fuel data,  and also the TPMS data but haven't been able to get anything to come up.

RE: Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - noelk - 08-16-2021

trying to devise a guage that shows real time fuel economy (MPG). located this formula and established that it used two PID's that are available and working VSS and MAF.

1. Divide the MAF by 14.7 to get grams of gas per second
2. Divide result by 454 to get Lbs gas per second
3. Divide result by 6.701 Gals gas per second
4. Multiply result by 3600 to get gallons per hour
The math expression for GPH is: MAF * 0.0805
. The final math expression
for MPG will be:
VSS * 7.718/MAF

the equation works in "MathPapa" when fed actual readings from OAP. The guage will show up in OAP but only reads '0'.
Not sure how to troubleshoot my syntax. Formula=(getPidValue(5)*7.718)/getPidValue(7)
just to be clear it is [ObdGauge_9] and I have changed the gauge count to 10.

[ObdGauge_9]
MinValue=0
MaxValue=100
Formula=(getPidValue(5)*7.718)/getPidValue(7)
Label=MPG

what am I missing?

RE: Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - BlueWave - 08-16-2021

Looks like you are missing the ) bracket.

It should be
Formula=(getPidValue(5)*7.718)/getPidValue(7))

Also it would be good to provide the log file located at /home/pi/.openauto/cache/openauto.log to troubleshoot the issue.

RE: Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - noelk - 09-14-2021

After looking at the log there is an error message " formula cannot be compiled - error 000 - Empty cell"
back to square one with syntax. Any help will be appreciated.

RE: Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - jhornbr225 - 09-14-2021

After seeing a new response in this thread, and having my tablet in front of me, I powered it up and checked my Torque Pro app for how I got the transmission sensors to work.

First Sensor is known as TFT1

PID is 21d9

Formula:

((((E*256)+F)*(7/100)-400)/10)

Second Sensor is TFT2

PID is 21d9

((((G*256)+F)*(7/100)-400)/10)

I'm pretty sure I copied those formulas out of some Toyota forum somewhere. Looks like both temp values come in from the same PID.

I was able to get the temps and change the fluid while running the Fire tablet and the Torque Pro app.

How this translates to the Pi, I'm not sure.

RE: Anyone with a 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner or similar? - Chrisfromwa - 09-14-2021

I have tried 21D9 before, but couldn't get it to work. but my formula might not have been the same.
I haven't seen the other PID before.

I'll give these a try and report back. Hope they work!