BlueWave Studio forum
What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: OBD-II (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-103.html)
+--- Thread: What OBDII adapeters are you all using? (/thread-2829.html)

Pages: 1 2

What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - Chrisfromwa - 07-29-2021

I have a cheap bluetooth amazon one,  and what I don't like it seems to stay on with the engine off, so it will slowly drain the battery.
So was wondering what adapters others are using?

Not sure if it's better to go with a Bluetooth,  or USB?  I have 1 USB spot left on my hub so I can go that way if needed.

Let me know what you're all using.
Not sure what to look for when shopping, and I don't want to buy anymore junk.

Thanks!

RE: What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - noelk - 07-30-2021

Good Morning Chris,
I have been using this OBD II adapter https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-lx/ for the last year and a half. It is blue tooth and it has been a love/hate relationship.
I like this one because it has a "go to sleep" feature. Just a couple of tips for setting it up and use.
1.) Set up in your car using their instructions and the recommended software installed on your phone (not OAP yet).
2.) They will offer the full package of tools and features for your car for a one time charge of $9.00 or so I did get this.
3.) Check in the software for firmware updates and install these (IMPORTANT do not rush and make sure you have a good signal)
4.) Once you are happy with the setup on your phone. Unpair it from the phone. (I know it sounds strange)
5.) Fire up your OAP and go to the Raspian desktop. Use the bluetooth tool to pair and connect, being sure to write down the mac address.
6.) once you have the mac address follow the instructions here at the forum to make OAP OBDII active.
7.) You may have to pair this adapter once more after reboot. Don't worry abut the error saying the Pi can't do anything with this device.
8.) Last but not least, when you first start your car the sleep function requires you to push the small switch on the adapter to wake up the bluetooth for active
connection. This is probably the only real quirk in this adapter. There are extensive settings so I am still looking for one that will eliminate this step.
I find that this adapter is very snappy. There is pretty good support online. I am looking forward to OAP being able to combine two PID's so I can get a guage for
MPG.
Other issue may be price, at $59.00 it is an investment. If you set it up right it does work and work well.

RE: What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - Chrisfromwa - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 10:24 AM)noelk Wrote: Good Morning Chris,
I have been using this OBD II adapter  https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-lx/  for the last year and a half.  It is blue tooth and it has been a love/hate relationship.
I like this one because it has a "go to sleep" feature.  Just a couple of tips for setting it up and use.
1.)  Set up in your car using their instructions and the recommended software installed on your phone (not OAP yet).
2.)  They will offer the full package of tools and features for your car for a one time charge of $9.00 or so  I did get this.
3.)  Check in the software for firmware updates and install these (IMPORTANT  do not rush and make sure you have a good signal)
4.)  Once you are happy with the setup on your phone.  Unpair it from the phone.  (I know it sounds strange)
5.)  Fire up your OAP and go to the Raspian desktop.  Use the bluetooth tool to pair and connect, being sure to write down the mac address.
6.) once you have the mac address  follow the instructions here at the forum to make OAP  OBDII active.
7.)  You may have to pair this adapter once more after reboot.  Don't worry abut the error saying the Pi can't do anything with this device.
8.)  Last but not least,  when you first start your car the sleep function requires you to push the small switch on the adapter to wake up the bluetooth for active
      connection.  This is probably the only real quirk in this adapter.  There are extensive settings so I am still looking for one that will eliminate this step.
I find that this adapter is very snappy.  There is pretty good support online.  I am looking forward to OAP being able to combine two PID's so I can get a guage for
MPG.
Other issue may be price, at $59.00 it is an investment.  If you set it up right it does work and work well.

Thanks for the recommendation,  I've actually seen this one and wondered if it was better.
The pressing the button to wake is kind of a pain,  hopefully there is a work around for that.  Anything else that you don't like about this adapter?

Oh shoot, I didn't realize we couldn't combine PIDs in OAP yet. Getting MPG was actually one of the things I wanted to do too.
Have they mentioned this being a future feature?

RE: What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - BlueWave - 07-30-2021

You can combine different PIDs as of OpenAuto Pro 11. More details can be found at docs section.

Change log for version 11 https://bluewavestudio.io/community/showthread.php?tid=2051

RE: What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - noelk - 07-30-2021

The one real issue is you won't get reliable connection if you leave it paired with your phone at the same time as OAP. Since I have not used any other adapters this may be an already known factor.

RE: What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - Chrisfromwa - 07-31-2021

Good to know.
but if you only have it paired to OAP it seems to be OK? I think most of the time, I would only have it paired to OAP and not the phone.
So maybe it won't matter much.

RE: What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - DemonJoelTuRbO - 08-02-2021

@noelk Thank you for this info. I have this same adapter and wondered whether it was compatible with OAP or not before i purchase it. Do you know if OAP is okay with communicating with the ODB adapter at the same time as with my phone?.....e.g. spotify/internet

RE: What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - BlueWave - 08-05-2021

(08-02-2021, 10:19 AM)DemonJoelTuRbO Wrote: @noelk Thank you for this info. I have this same adapter and wondered whether it was compatible with OAP or not before i purchase it. Do you know if OAP is okay with communicating with the ODB adapter at the same time as with my phone?.....e.g. spotify/internet

Yes, bandwidth of the Bluetooth should be sufficient to handle that services at the same time.

RE: What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - noelk - 08-05-2021

Hey Demon JoelTurbo,
Bluewave seems to think that it will work. Perhaps my problem is with the samsung galaxy j7 crown. My experience was that the OBDII adapter seemed to have difficulty making up its mind which device it would connect with. As soon as I unpaired it from the phone no more issues with connecting or lag in the guage performance. My phone is old tech and although I update the firmware and software as needed it's still old. The adapter is solid and support is very good a great forum like here with OpenAutoPro. I have updated it's firmware two times without a hitch.

RE: What OBDII adapeters are you all using? - noelk - 09-14-2021

Just to update my experience with this adapter, using OAP 13.2 performance is smoother and the device wakes up from sleep mode to connect with the software. No need to press the pairing button anymore. Readings are responsive. So I can recommend this for use with OAP it is just a bit expensive. Advantage is that it does not cause any drain on the battery.