BlueWave Studio forum
OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: Head-unit projects (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-89.html)
+--- Forum: Your projects (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-62.html)
+--- Thread: OpenAutoPro custom head-unit (/thread-2053.html)

Pages: 1 2

OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - xblack86 - 09-23-2020

I have designed a complete head-unit for openauto and I would like to have your opinion.
It all started to make an head-unit for my motorbike (pictures below)

[Image: 1600851879163.png][Image: 1600851879099.png]
[Image: 1600851879143.png]

[Image: IMG-20200923-104600.png]

Some people showed interest and asked me to make it commercially available ... not only for motorbikes but also for cars/trucks.
I am currently redesigning it to include more features and to make it interesting to car owners.

The current head-unit has the following features(pcb picture below):
- 800 x 480 pixel 7 inch TFT panel with 10 points capacitive touch
- Socket for Raspberry Compute Module 3
- Lcd backlight control
- 12-24v DC power input 
- 3 usb 2.0 (max 2.5A)  (not all soldered in the pcb below, in my motorbike case I need only one for the wifi and I have to keep the head-unit as thin as possible)
- 1 usb 2.0 (ext connector)
- Safe shutdown to enable the pi CM3 to control its own power (ext connector)
- 1 usb 2.0 to flash the pi CM3 onboard emmc (ext connector) 

[Image: IMG-20200923-104624.png]

I would greatly appreciate your feedback and please let me know what are the must have features a head-unit should have for you.

RE: OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - jennmike2 - 09-23-2020

FM radio LOL sorry had to say it.

RE: OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - xblack86 - 09-23-2020

(09-23-2020, 11:12 AM)jennmike2 Wrote: FM radio LOL sorry had to say it.

Through usb it is already supported, implementing it in the hardware can be a risk considering that many countries are facing out FM for digital radio.

RE: OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - peetereczek - 09-24-2020

OH WOW! I love it!

Is GPIO pinout possible? I'm having PiCAN2 board for CAN communictaion

And I think AUDIO output is a must for CAR / TRUCK installation

Rest can be served with USBs, I think

RE: OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - xblack86 - 09-24-2020

(09-24-2020, 02:20 PM)peetereczek Wrote: OH WOW! I love it!

Thanks!!
GPIO is definitely possible, I will try to have a pin compatible GPIO connector on the next revision
Audio I totally agree with you.
What do you use on a RPI for audio , the integrated audio output or an external audio card? 
On my motorbike the audio is redirected by bluetooth to my helmet so there was no need for audio output Smile

RE: OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - tlepage - 09-24-2020

Very impressive!

I was thinking about doing a project like that for my motorcycle!

RE: OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - jennmike2 - 09-25-2020

Is there a water proofing? I was thinking about doing a fish finder and depth finder integration on the boat.

RE: OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - BlueWave - 09-25-2020

Hello,
Great project. Good luck with further development! Do you think any UI optimizations may be needed to use OpenAutoPro on the motorbike? Any special features that would be handy?

RE: OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - peetereczek - 09-25-2020

(09-24-2020, 02:37 PM)xblack86 Wrote:

Thanks!!
GPIO is definitely possible, I will try to have a pin compatible GPIO connector on the next revision
What do you use on a RPI for audio , the integrated audio output or an external audio card? 
On my motorbike the audio is redirected by bluetooth to my helmet so there was no need for audio output Smile

For audio im having USB sound card, but as you ale designing the borad, maybe you will be able to fit same sound chip as well? This will create almost P&P device for our projects.

And what i missed, is there BT as well on the board, or still served as USB dongle?

RE: OpenAutoPro custom head-unit - xblack86 - 09-26-2020

(09-25-2020, 02:24 AM)jennmike2 Wrote: Is there a water proofing? I was thinking about doing a fish finder and depth finder integration on the boat.

Yes at least for heavy rain. I made the plastic case in a single part and than sealed to the display with a thick double face tape.
It is more or less 8 months I use it and I never had any issue

(09-25-2020, 06:51 AM)BlueWave Wrote: Hello,
Great project. Good luck with further development! Do you think any UI optimizations may be needed to use OpenAutoPro on the motorbike? Any special features that would be handy?

Thanks!

It is mostly ok, at the moment I have two main issues

1) the display needs pwm to control the brightness and for that I couldn't find an easy solution to do it using the UI yet.

2) I need to redirect the audio to my helmet by bluetooth and  I can do that using raspbian but when openauto UI take control of bluetooth, it disables that functionality.
At the moment I do not use the bluetooth on the device but the phone is directly connected to my helmet via bt. I'm quite happy with this solution but it is not possible to use voice commands (I hate them anyway). Would be possible to have the bt only to start android auto (without headunit server ), without alos acting as an audio device?

(09-25-2020, 07:07 AM)peetereczek Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 02:37 PM)xblack86 Wrote:

Thanks!!

For audio im having USB sound card, but as you ale designing the borad, maybe you will be able to fit same sound  chip as well? This will create almost P&P device for our projects.

And what i missed, is there BT as well on the board, or still served as USB dongle?

I use a wifi-bt usb dongle (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000195442642.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4930664fdvshqW&algo_pvid=f7c042d7-a2e1-4f6f-b78b-a0934e46df3d&algo_expid=f7c042d7-a2e1-4f6f-b78b-a0934e46df3d-31&btsid=0bb0623a16011155670323159e28fb&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_)
The pcb supports as well wifi module on board (close to the horizontal usb) but the dongle is far cheaper, so I 'm not using it anymore