BlueWave Studio forum
Connect Pi to Radio without aux input. - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: Community (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-85.html)
+--- Forum: How to (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-69.html)
+--- Thread: Connect Pi to Radio without aux input. (/thread-1960.html)

Connect Pi to Radio without aux input. - daruud - 08-26-2020

Hello,

I have a Pi with display connected in my car. Now I want to play music through my car speakers. The easiest way to do this is via the radio i thought, but with no success. Is there any way to connect the Pi and Radio to play music? Or do I have to skip the radio and directly connect it to the cables.

My radioplayer has a 20-pin input, a red and white input/output (i do not know) and a coax for the antenna.

This is my first project and I am not very good in the cable stuff, thanks in advance!

RE: Connect Pi to Radio without aux input. - noelk - 08-26-2020

(08-26-2020, 07:05 PM)daruud Wrote: Hello,

I have a Pi with display connected in my car. Now I want to play music through my car speakers. The easiest way to do this is via the radio i thought, but with no success. Is there any way to connect the Pi and Radio to play music? Or do I have to skip the radio and directly connect it to the cables.

My radioplayer has a 20-pin input, a red and white input/output (i do not know) and a coax for the antenna.

This is my first project and I am not very good in the cable stuff, thanks in advance!
Would help if you gave some info about your car and audio system.  You could use a preamp a/b switch to go between your Pi and the stock radio to connect to the amplifier.  If your car just uses the amplifier in the radio you may be able to use an fm transmitter attached to the Pi sound card.  tune your radio to the channel that is being transmitted and you should pick up your pi audio.  This won't be very good quality sound and if you live in an area with lots of fm stations you will have a problem finding a quiet area for that transmitter to use.  Good Luck with your project and have fun.

RE: Connect Pi to Radio without aux input. - daruud - 08-27-2020

(08-26-2020, 09:06 PM)noelk Wrote: Would help if you gave some info about your car and audio system.  You could use a preamp a/b switch to go between your Pi and the stock radio to connect to the amplifier.  If your car just uses the amplifier in the radio you may be able to use an fm transmitter attached to the Pi sound card.  tune your radio to the channel that is being transmitted and you should pick up your pi audio.  This won't be very good quality sound and if you live in an area with lots of fm stations you will have a problem finding a quiet area for that transmitter to use.  Good Luck with your project and have fun.

I am driving a VW Polo 2003 and the stock radio Pioneer DEH-1400RB. The radio has no input however so I dont think I can use this as amplifier.
I have found a datasheet for the connecter, which I attached to this post. Is it possible to attachs the cables from the connector to a sound amplifier and if yes, how?
And the same question for the antenna jack mentioned in the datasheet. How can I connect that to the Pi, if possible?

Datasheet connections

RE: Connect Pi to Radio without aux input. - noelk - 08-27-2020

(08-27-2020, 08:49 AM)daruud Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 09:06 PM)noelk Wrote: Would help if you gave some info about your car and audio system.  You could use a preamp a/b switch to go between your Pi and the stock radio to connect to the amplifier.  If your car just uses the amplifier in the radio you may be able to use an fm transmitter attached to the Pi sound card.  tune your radio to the channel that is being transmitted and you should pick up your pi audio.  This won't be very good quality sound and if you live in an area with lots of fm stations you will have a problem finding a quiet area for that transmitter to use.  Good Luck with your project and have fun.

I am driving a VW Polo 2003 and the stock radio Pioneer DEH-1400RB. The radio has no input however so I dont think I can use this as amplifier.
I have found a datasheet for the connecter, which I attached to this post. Is it possible to attachs the cables from the connector to a sound amplifier and if yes, how?
And the same question for the antenna jack mentioned in the datasheet. How can I connect that to the Pi, if possible?

Datasheet connections
Sorry to say  FM transmitter is your only avenue unless you replace your Stock radio.  There are several low cost single din units that have the aux input and even some that have bluetooth.  These would only require standard 3.5mm male to male for the aux hookup.  No need to connect the Radio antena coax to your pi because there is no am fm tuner on the pi.  Look at some of the projects on this site and you will see some that replace the stock radio completely and they give a parts list of what they have used to relpace it.  My project is the Nissan Frontier finished.  I used an aftermarket radio cd player and aux input for my OAP pi.

RE: Connect Pi to Radio without aux input. - Mella - 08-31-2020

Hello,

I had the exact same problem on my 2005 Audi equipped with a Symphony 2 car radio as the one if

6 CD charger, cassette and radio, but without jack / USB, I tested several solutions before finding my happiness

The first solution was this kind of FM transmitter, but as noelk said above, the sound is not very good, for my part I quickly forgot this gadget

I then tested a cassette to 3.5 jack adapter, not bad for smartphones and tablets, but for the Raspberry it's not quite that!

I then and ended up testing this product which won me over immediately, plug and play it installs quickly and gives very good sound quality

Several car brands are available Volkswagen is one of them

Good research

RE: Connect Pi to Radio without aux input. - noelk - 09-02-2020

sorry almost forgot the diagram.  Take care.

RE: Connect Pi to Radio without aux input. - jayr86@gmail.com - 10-03-2020

Hi! I am super interested in implementing something like you have diagrammed here, noelk:

(09-02-2020, 07:05 PM)noelk Wrote: sorry almost forgot the diagram.  Take care.

I was wondering if would this work if I bought two 2ch amps with two soundcards on my pi. I was thinking I could implement volume controls in the front and back like most car radios provide. It looks like there are ways to implement separate sound channels so I am pretty sure this will work, but I was just curious if you or anyone else had any thoughts.

Thanks! Smile