BlueWave Studio forum
No mouse cursor - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: User interface (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-66.html)
+--- Thread: No mouse cursor (/thread-1864.html)

No mouse cursor - rob92620@gmail.com - 08-08-2020

There is no mouse cursor on my installation.

I have reviewed the closed thread titled "Mouse cursor after 3.1.1 update" expecting to find out how to show the mouse cursor. None of the suggestions is available to me. I searched (using a Windows 10 desktop) the SD card for xserver and bwscursor but found neither making it rather difficult to make the suggested changes.

I have a new install of OpenAuto Pro, updated to the latest version as part of the install process, running on a Pi 3 B+ with a non-touchscreen desktop monitor (for testing only). The finished product will be used on a non-touch 7 inch sunlight readable display, required for top down driving. 

Am I in a parallel universe or just looking in the wrong place?

RE: No mouse cursor - Great - 08-09-2020

In terminal:

sudo bwscursor show

RE: No mouse cursor - rob92620@gmail.com - 08-09-2020

(08-09-2020, 09:21 AM)Great Wrote: In terminal:

sudo bwscursor show
Thanks, but...

I've seen this instruction elsewhere and it is so far of no use to me.

I have searched the pdf files "raspberry_pi_-_how_to_get_started" and "openauto_userguide" for "command" and "terminal" but without success. Neither pdf document explains enough about each icon to be certain of what some do. I assume that the gear icon can get me to a command prompt, but without a mouse cursor i cannot get anything on the screen to execute. The up and down arrow keys are the only keys that do anything but that is limited to highlighting alternatively Telefoon and the round button on the bottom right of the screen. Holding down the Enter key will change the color of the round button but nothing executes. With Telefoon highlighted, Enter offers "Favorieten" "Contacten" "Kiezen" and "Recent" on the next screen but nothing after that. 

It's a minor annoyance that my OpenAuto Pro  v. 9.1 screen is in a language that I do not understand, but I can guess meanings (Telefoon, Programma's, Muziek, etc.). I should be able to fix that once I have a mouse cursor

The OpenAuto Pro documentation screen shots do not exactly match what shows on my screen. For example, Equalizer appears on my screen where Settings shows in the manual. I have Settings on the bottom icon bar, but no amount of playing around blindly with a mouse will activate anything on the bottom tool bar, or elsewhere, except as noted above.

I'm ready to order a touch screen that I will need only for setup, unless you (or anyone) can offer a solution.

So, what can you suggest?

Huh

RE: No mouse cursor - jhornbr225 - 08-10-2020

There is a line in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf that you have to comment "xserver-command=X -nocursor". Doing that brings the mouse back. I do this to mine, as I'm still in testing phase and have a mouse plugged in.

RE: No mouse cursor - rob92620@gmail.com - 08-10-2020

It is of no use to me to suggest editing files that I cannot access.

With nothing comparable to Windows' command prompt available (that I can access) on my Pi3 installation of OpenAuto Pro, or even using Windows to examine every file on the SD card, the two replies so far do not offer a solution.

Obviously I am missing something here so I guess I'll have to wait for someone to tell me what that is.

RE: No mouse cursor - jhornbr225 - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 05:00 PM)rob92620@gmail.com Wrote: It is of no use to me to suggest editing files that I cannot access.

With nothing comparable to Windows' command prompt available (that I can access) on my Pi3 installation of OpenAuto Pro, or even using Windows to examine every file on the SD card, the two replies so far do not offer a solution.

Obviously I am missing something here so I guess I'll have to wait for someone to tell me what that is.
By any chance do you have another raspberry pi? You could pull this SD card, put it in a micro SD reader, then plug it into another Pi. You would then be able to navigate the files on the SD card. You could then navigate to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and modify it. 

Or do you have another micro SD card? If so, Install regular Raspberry Pi OS on that other card, take out your Open Auto Pro card, and put Raspberry Pi OS in the Pi you are trying to use. Then plug the Open Auto Pro card in with a USB micro SD card reader. You would then be able to navigate those files.

RE: No mouse cursor - budman1758 - 08-10-2020

Quote:Obviously I am missing something here so I guess I'll have to wait for someone to tell me what that is.

Why dont you log into your Pi with a another computer using SSH?  It is enabled by default on the Openauto install. Then you can modify any files necessary.

RE: No mouse cursor - rob92620@gmail.com - 08-10-2020

OK folks, never mind. I ordered a touchscreen from Amazon which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and that is probably sooner than anyone will answer my query with a suggestion that I can use.

Thanks to each of you who attempted to direct this newbie in the right direction.

RE: No mouse cursor - frankpintosr - 08-14-2020

#Enable mouse cursor for Raspbian
Sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
	#Locate xserver-command=X -nocursor
	#Update to the following
xserver-command=X
This is how I show the cursor. Hope this helps

RE: No mouse cursor - Aparcado - 09-10-2022

(08-09-2020, 09:21 AM)Great Wrote: In terminal:

sudo bwscursor show

Thank you VERY much for this info.  It did the trick for me.