BlueWave Studio forum
RPI 4 Connection problems with OAPro & missing configuration - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: General (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-81.html)
+--- Thread: RPI 4 Connection problems with OAPro & missing configuration (/thread-1503.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RPI 4 Connection problems with OAPro & missing configuration - espglr06 - 03-09-2020

After buying what I thought I need and after purchasing license for OAPro, I tried to put everything together and make it work but to no vail. Apparently I am missing some critical technical configuration and here I am:

1. I got an HifiBerry AMP2 sound card. Is it compatible with OAPro? Apparently all sound cards are compatible but I need a confirmation.

2. I thought that a mic input is not mandatory but according to the developers, it is! So, my question is this: do I need to replace the HifiBerry AMP2 and get a USB dongle with MIC/AUX outputs or is it fine to add it extra? My understanding and very little experience is that it will never work with 2 soundcards, so please advise how and what I should do with this issue.

3. Is an external bluetooth dongle mandatory as well? Cause RPI 4 comes with built in Bluetooth.

4. I have downloaded Android Auto on a Sasmung J3 using an APK mirror link, not the official app which is not available on Play Store any more. Is this OK? I am only asking because I miss a feature that enables the phone to switch to headunit server when hitting on the 3 dots top right. Any input on this?

Other than that, I think that my configuration complies with the tech requirements. Just need to do more shopping to make this thing work.

p.s. if this post is in the wrong place, please fell free to move it accordingly Wink

RE: RPI 4 Connection problems with OAPro & missing configuration - BlueWave - 03-09-2020

Hello,
We strongly advise sticking to the system requirements rather than making any assumptions what is or is not needed. Android Auto requires microphone input even if you do not use voice commands features.

OpenAuto Pro is running on top of regular Raspbian Buster. Everything compatible with Raspbian Buster is also compatible with OpenAuto Pro. Please note that HiFiBerry may require additional configuration which is not in scope of the OpenAuto Pro. We recommend to follow manufacturer instructions in order to configure HiFiBerry properly.

The easiest way is just using USB sound card just because it is Plug&Play solution that does not require any additional configuration - we recommend this for less advanced users. You still can use custom hardware like HiFiBerry but OpenAuto Pro is not responsible for handling the configuration.

External Bluetooth Dongle is also mandatory equipment (as stated at the product page) because built-in Raspberry PI Bluetooth chip does not support Hands-Free calling.

You must enable Android Auto developer mode in order to enable/disable Head Unit server.

RE: RPI 4 Connection problems with OAPro & missing configuration - Frank - 03-09-2020

(03-09-2020, 05:24 PM)espglr06 Wrote: After buying what I thought I need and after purchasing license for OAPro, I tried to put everything together and make it work but to no vail. Apparently I am missing some critical technical configuration and here I am:

1. I got an HifiBerry AMP2 sound card. Is it compatible with OAPro? Apparently all sound cards are compatible but I need a confirmation.

Yes. It is compatible.  I have one running on a Pi4.

2. I thought that a mic input is not mandatory but according to the developers, it is! So, my question is this: do I need to replace the HifiBerry AMP2 and get a USB dongle with MIC/AUX outputs or is it fine to add it extra? My understanding and very little experience is that it will never work with 2 soundcards, so please advise how and what I should do with this issue.

Yes, the mic is important. Make sure its a plain mic.  Find something like this:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TB4Q4RB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_8hOzEb1G62VD3 

Some mics have an attached audio port which will mess with your getting it to work. 

3. Is an external bluetooth dongle mandatory as well? Cause RPI 4 comes with built in Bluetooth.

I also use a usb bluetooth because the chip in the pi4 bluetooth will not handle handsfree phone connections.

4. I have downloaded Android Auto on a Sasmung J3 using an APK mirror link, not the official app which is not available on Play Store any more. Is this OK? I am only asking because I miss a feature that enables the phone to switch to headunit server when hitting on the 3 dots top right. Any input on this?

It sounds to me like you are trying the free version of OAP.  I paid the onetime fee for the PRO version and BlueWave will send you the links to download the latest version.  That being said, I'm not sure how much of what I have told you will work on the free version.

Other than that, I think that my configuration complies with the tech requirements. Just need to do more shopping to make this thing work.

p.s. if this post is in the wrong place, please fell free to move it accordingly Wink

My responses are written in-between each question above

RE: RPI 4 Connection problems with OAPro & missing configuration - espglr06 - 03-09-2020

@Frank Thank you so much for your input. Much appreciate!!!

I have paid a proper version of OpenAuto Pro, I did not know they have a free version; otherwise I would have gone with that before buying it.

If the HifiBerry is compatible with OAP, how it is going to work with the second external USD sound card? I only got this sound card because i wanted to wire the car stereo audio cables directly to the RPI. Otherwise, the USB dongle is much easier and sounds more convenient.

@Bluewave

- You just mention "external sound card". If you support a specific type of sound cards, it would be wiser to clearly state it under your tech specs.

- Also, I dont get any Developer Mode option to switch on the Samsung. Any idea about that?

@Bluewave.

I never got a reply on this: "So, my question is this: do I need to replace the HifiBerry AMP2 and get a USB dongle with MIC/AUX outputs or is it fine to add it extra?"

thanks in advance

RE: RPI 4 Connection problems with OAPro & missing configuration - BlueWave - 03-09-2020

(03-09-2020, 06:11 PM)espglr06 Wrote: @Bluewave

- You just mention "external sound card". If you support a specific type of sound cards, it would be wiser to clearly state it under your tech specs.

As we mentioned in previous post - each soundcard supported by Raspbian Buster is also supported by OpenAuto Pro. There is no list of supported/unsupported sound cards. However, if your soundcard is compatible with Raspbian Buster but requires additional configuration - this is your responsibility to do this properly. If you are not familiar with Raspbian sound configuration then we recommend to use USB sound card that is Plug&Play solution.

(03-09-2020, 06:11 PM)espglr06 Wrote: - Also, I dont get any Developer Mode option to switch on the Samsung. Any idea about that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto/comments/edbg0x/howto_enable_android_auto_developer_mode_if_you/

(03-09-2020, 06:11 PM)espglr06 Wrote: @Bluewave.

I never got a reply on this: "So, my question is this: do I need to replace the HifiBerry AMP2 and get a USB dongle with MIC/AUX outputs or is it fine to add it extra?"

thanks in advance

It is also matter of the configuration. Raspbian Buster itself support such setup but may require additional configuration. The same as we said before - USB soundcard is the easiest way to handle both audio input and output without additional configuration.

RE: RPI 4 Connection problems with OAPro & missing configuration - espglr06 - 03-09-2020

By the way, does anybody know how can I connect the external USB sound card with the car stereo cables?

Thanks

@Frank

The link for the mic you sent is for a USB mic. Is this OK or should I buy one that will be plugged on the external USB sound card which is required from Bluewave tech specs?

I was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01G16LSVQ/ref=pd_sbs_147_2/261-1734825-7127425?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01G16LSVQ&pd_rd_r=71a3d720-8565-403b-a740-be08960666e9&pd_rd_w=vbkQL&pd_rd_wg=bJXlE&pf_rd_p=c8718c55-fb13-473f-a41c-592a17ad3468&pf_rd_r=4P0Q25Q26XCJQ487Y3PN&psc=1&refRID=4P0Q25Q26XCJQ487Y3PN

Thanks again!

@BlueWave

Since the specifications are rather strict and anything beyond them is user's responsibility, please let me know if the items below comply with Open Auto Pro tech specs:

Mic: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01G16LSVQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A33G7CY43FZYTX&psc=1
External soundcard: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01M0HP59L/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=AYK8RGDIO4P1N&psc=1
External Bluetooth adapter: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01LR8CNXU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A16T30Y6HBKAOW&psc=1

Thanks in advance

RE: RPI 4 Connection problems with OAPro & missing configuration - ktb - 03-09-2020

(03-09-2020, 10:03 PM)espglr06 Wrote: @BlueWave

Since the specifications are rather strict and anything beyond them is user's responsibility, please let me know if the items below comply with Open Auto Pro tech specs:

Mic: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01G16LSVQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A33G7CY43FZYTX&psc=1
External soundcard: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01M0HP59L/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=AYK8RGDIO4P1N&psc=1
External Bluetooth adapter: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01LR8CNXU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A16T30Y6HBKAOW&psc=1

Thanks in advance
Those should all work fine, though I don't have any experience with those specific models.

That mic has a 3.5mm TRRS plug, so you may need to connect it to the middle/center black headset jack on that sound card.

As far as connecting the sound card output with car stereo cables, we need to know more information about your car's audio equipment. What sort of cables/jacks will they be going into? RCA red and white female jacks? In that case, you should be able to use a simple RCA red and white male to 3.5mm TRS plug stereo audio cable. Or do you plan on using a simple 3.5mm aux. input jack on an existing stereo/headunit? In that case, a simple 3.5mm TRS male to 3.5mm TRS male stereo cable should do the job. Some users have found connecting ground loop isolators in between their Pi and an amplifier to be helpful in cutting down on noise/buzzing, but not everybody seems to need them.

@ktb Thank you so much for your input.

You are correct, the mic needs to be compatible with the sound card; I will make sure they fit.

Regarding the audio connection, my car has only two speakers in the front and has the standard bare cables, no RCA jacks. Has four cables in total for the speakers to work.

How I connect them to one 3.5mm jack and then to the USB sound card? (Similar to the attached pic)

[Image: pic-7327037034946489785-1600x1200.jpeg]

RE: RPI 4 Connection problems with OAPro & missing configuration - ktb - 03-09-2020

(03-09-2020, 10:35 PM)espglr06 Wrote: @ktb Thank you so much for your input.

You are correct, the mic needs to be compatible with the sound card; I will make sure they fit.

Regarding the audio connection, my car has only two speakers in the front and has the standard bare cables, no RCA jacks. Has four cables in total for the speakers to work.

How I connect them to one 3.5mm jack and then to the USB sound card?
Hmmm... Well, it sounds like you're dealing with bare speaker cables/wires. You'd likely need some sort of amplifier to drive those speakers (which accepts stereo input and will support connections for two speakers). This could be a HAT amplifier directly attached to your Pi, a standalone automotive amplifier with RCA female input jacks or a 3.5mm TRS input jack or a headunit/stereo system with a small integrated amplifier, speaker jacks and stereo input jacks.