BlueWave Studio forum
OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: Hardware for head-unit (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-87.html)
+--- Forum: Other Hardware (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-92.html)
+--- Thread: OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G (/thread-1211.html)

Pages: 1 2

OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - Kruss - 11-09-2019

Hello everyone,

I was inactive for quite some time and pushed my project aside for a while.

Now I have a new Audi and would like to integrate OAP again.

It is an Audi A4 8K B8 with a MMI3G. 

Unfortunately, I only have an AUX port but retrofitting an Audi Music Interface should not be a big hassle.

Now my question is there someone who has already successfully made the communication via the MMI control unit and the Raspberry?

With my old Audi S6 there was only one USB to Serial Cable and one cable to the interface.

I would be glad if someone can give me a tip so I have as soon as possible again OAP in the Audi.

Thank you in advance.
Kruss

RE: OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - peetereczek - 11-10-2019

There are similar projects, look at mine for example with RNS-E. But generally OA supports communication with CAN. There were no B8 yet here, so you will be first with MMI 3G, but I think you will succeed Wink

My project: https://bluewavestudio.io/community/showthread.php?tid=911

AUDI MMI 2G support in A8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyFfKFpXC-8

RE: OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - ivanf09 - 12-08-2019

I am planning to this soon on this car, only way i know to get the video input to the existing screen is with connecting it to the AMI interface.
If you dont have AMI interface you first you need to get AMi interface, this the most expensive cable, there is one for around 50$ on aliexpress.

Then you have to connect AMI to RCA cabel, on which you connect HDMI to RCA converter unit, then after this you have your HDMI input port for the Rpi.

The problem I am facing now is how to control Openauto this way, cause the screen in B8 is not touch screen, it is too far from driver anyway. Having a small touchpad seems like only way but not practical.
So I have question for OpenAuto team, I saw there is a way to control everything with the knob and steering wheel controls? How is this accomplished?

*EDIT
I missed completely that Rpi 3 and older ones have RCA video output already, so no need for HDMI to RCA converter which is another element that would need power and probably weaken the signal.  Rpi 3 has the output from the 3.5mm jack port.

RE: OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - BlueWave - 12-08-2019

(12-08-2019, 11:24 AM)ivanf09 Wrote: I am planning to this soon on this car, only way i know to get the video input to the existing screen is with connecting it to the AMI interface.
If you dont have AMI interface you first you need to get AMi interface, this the most expensive cable, there is one for around 50$ on aliexpress.

Then you have to connect AMI to RCA cabel, on which you connect HDMI to RCA converter unit, then after this you have your HDMI input port for the Rpi.

The problem I am facing now is how to control Openauto this way, cause the screen in B8 is not touch screen, it is too far from driver anyway. Having a small touchpad seems like only way but not practical.
So I have question for OpenAuto team, I saw there is a way to control everything with the knob and steering wheel controls? How is this accomplished?

OpenAuto reads signals from the CanBus and converts them to button presses. That functionality is embedded in OpenAuto Pro. You have to connect CanBus line from RNSE to the Raspberry PI. There is a thread in Projects section regarding RNSE where you can find more information.

RE: OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - ivanf09 - 12-08-2019

Thank you for your reply. I tried to do the research can you please give me links to these projects, RNSE is just an old AUDI system before MMI? I hope the proccess is the same...
Please correct me if I am wrong....Basically I came to conclusion that I would need something like PiCAN and connect it to the OBD port to collect the buttons from the car?
And how will car react for exapmle, rotating knob and pressing it, will the buttons send commands to the Rpi and to the car at the same time ?

RE: OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - peetereczek - 12-09-2019

(11-10-2019, 10:23 PM)peetereczek Wrote: There are similar projects, look at mine for example with RNS-E. But generally OA supports communication with CAN. There were no B8 yet here, so you will be first with MMI 3G, but I think you will succeed Wink

My project: https://bluewavestudio.io/community/showthread.php?tid=911

AUDI MMI 2G support in A8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyFfKFpXC-8

Here you have. RNS-E was put into Audi A3 8P and A4 B7 for sure

Also here you have another RNS-E project: https://bluewavestudio.io/community/showthread.php?tid=754

RE: OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - ivanf09 - 12-09-2019

Yes thank you, I figured out later these topics is what he meant, I was reading it later all evening. So now only thing that is questionable will the Openauto over PiCan recognize the buttons or will I need to configure it from the beginning? I saw they implemented it but afraid every engine generation have different buttons and resistance values.

Do you know will the car send button commands simultaneously to the PiCan and car system at the same time ? As I researched newer car have different kind of CANBUS systems than RNS-E ?

I was always planning to make Car PI just to explore even tho I have a lot of stuff already in the car integrated but there is a lack of having realtime traffic from google/waze and zero interesting screens from the car itself. 

So maps traffic was first thing why I would do this. Second thing was how could I add DPF filter information somewhere on the screen, ideally alerting me when the Filter is in active regeneration mode for which I don't have any information in the car except the RPMs get higher and the sound from exhaust is different. It is important to not turn off engine in that moment and let it finish the process. Right now I am getting this information from VAG DPF app.

RE: OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - ivanf09 - 12-13-2019

After tons of reading it looks like I wont be making my car controls work. There is too much stuff I don't know how to do.
I know I would need to connect PiCAN to the CAN_H and CAN_L wires somewhere in the car, from the research there is connector for that placed right next to the glove compartment on the side wall. Ideally this is done with some kind of bypass so you don't cut the original wires of the car.

Then I assume it will not work immediately because the stuff that bluewave integrated for 2g mmi (developed for TTL) wont work for the 3g MMI from 2010+. How to map this I have no idea and knowledge, with good instructions I could make it but I know that everyone is supposed to this by themselves in matter of exploring and build upon OpenAuto.

RE: OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - peetereczek - 12-14-2019

(12-13-2019, 04:37 PM)ivanf09 Wrote: After tons of reading it looks like I wont be making my car controls work. There is too much stuff I don't know how to do.
I know I would need to connect PiCAN to the CAN_H and CAN_L wires somewhere in the car, from the research there is connector for that placed right next to the glove compartment on the side wall. Ideally this is done with some kind of bypass so you don't cut the original wires of the car.

Then I assume it will not work immediately because the stuff that bluewave integrated for 2g mmi (developed for TTL) wont work for the 3g MMI from 2010+. How to map this I have no idea and knowledge, with good instructions I could make it but I know that everyone is supposed to this by themselves in matter of exploring and build upon OpenAuto.

That's how open source / custom project works. You can take a look on some Android modules from China (https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/33035365954.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5bab7965R1z7uc&algo_pvid=15cf1df3-00dc-479c-a2ce-5f1b335fbb52&algo_expid=15cf1df3-00dc-479c-a2ce-5f1b335fbb52-1&btsid=369b9483-8f34-4f75-972b-a65a4d17e893&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_55). I Honestly, I ordered whole to change RNS-E in my Audi A3, will see how it will work and I'll decide to stay with Open Auto on RNS-E or not

RE: OAP in Audi A4 8K with MMI3G - ivanf09 - 12-14-2019

(12-08-2019, 11:57 AM)BlueWave Wrote:
(12-08-2019, 11:24 AM)ivanf09 Wrote: I am planning to this soon on this car, only way i know to get the video input to the existing screen is with connecting it to the AMI interface.

OpenAuto reads signals from the CanBus and converts them to button presses. That functionality is embedded in OpenAuto Pro. You have to connect CanBus line from RNSE to the Raspberry PI. There is a thread in Projects section regarding RNSE where you can find more information.

(12-14-2019, 09:43 AM)peetereczek Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 04:37 PM)ivanf09 Wrote: After tons of reading it looks like I wont be making my car controls work. There is too much stuff I don't know how to do.

That's how open source / custom project works. You can take a look on some Android modules from China (https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/33035365954.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5bab7965R1z7uc&algo_pvid=15cf1df3-00dc-479c-a2ce-5f1b335fbb52&algo_expid=15cf1df3-00dc-479c-a2ce-5f1b335fbb52-1&btsid=369b9483-8f34-4f75-972b-a65a4d17e893&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_55). I Honestly, I ordered whole to change RNS-E in my Audi A3, will see how it will work and I'll decide to stay with Open Auto on RNS-E or not

Yes I know but was hoping it was somewhat simpler  Big Grin Maybe I get into it somewhere in the future. 

I just wanted to have some info display in the car and maps with traffic and this looked like a good way to go. I will probably satisfy myself with mirroring phone screen for maps and try to build custom screen with obd info that I would love to have. Priority will be DPF filter info and car oil temperature as this is something that every car owner (dieseil for DPF) is recommended to track. 

I dont like Chinese Aliexpress android systems, they are pretty risky to be slow and not optimized, not to mention the price for that  Undecided

Only system that looks good and got good reviews on audi forums is from RSNAV but that one is even more expensive (around 500$) but they are from Denmark. Auto is another way to go but they don't provide local dashboard, they are more for surveillance of the cars from web (fleets).