BlueWave Studio forum
Controlling Android Auto Without a Touchscreen - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: General (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-81.html)
+--- Thread: Controlling Android Auto Without a Touchscreen (/thread-1165.html)

Controlling Android Auto Without a Touchscreen - IonicOwl - 10-07-2019

I'm trying to integrate an OpenAuto/Android Auto setup into the upper dashboard display of my 2011 Civic, which isn't really in the best position for a touchscreen as it's too far away to get to whilst driving (it's also behind a plastic cover).  So I wanted to control it via a rotary knob and some buttons I'm going to make by the gear stick, as below:

[Image: sePFkVN.png]

The problem I'm having is that whilst OAP/AA works fine, I'm having issues getting to certain menus on apps in Android Auto.  For example, if I want to use Waze for navigation, I can't get to the part of the screen where I'd search for a destination, and even if I do (using voice commands), I can't exit navigation using the X in the corner because I can't get to it without a touchscreen.  This occurs on various apps, including Google's own maps app, but it's not quite as bad.

I found this reference on the Android Developers site https://developer.android.com/training/cars/testing#cmd-bindings
I'm currently using a keyboard to test before I build the controller and map commands to it.  It says that I can use the arrow keys (or shift+arrow keys) to move about the interface, but this doesn't work at all, even in OAP.  I can only use up/down on the arrow keys to jump to certain parts of the UI, left/right do nothing.  I think that's what's preventing me from getting to where I need to be in various parts of the interface.  Is this a bug, or is there something I'm missing?

I'm using OAP 3.3.2RC on a Raspberry Pi 4B.  Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section.

RE: Controlling Android Auto Without a Touchscreen - officialgrantd - 10-07-2019

Use up/down to get to different sections, and 1/2 scrolls within that section. Even doing that, I still can't get to everything I want. In Google maps, 1/2 zooms in and out, which is a nice feature, but I haven't found a way to select everything on the screen. Other than maps, navigating with up/down, 1/2 works quite well

RE: Controlling Android Auto Without a Touchscreen - Daniel_BlueWave - 10-07-2019

In the OpenAuto Pro User Guide you can find section 'Keyboard controls'. There is a list of supported keys/buttons and their functionality. It should be your base for the project.

(10-07-2019, 01:44 PM)officialgrantd Wrote: Use up/down to get to different sections, and 1/2 scrolls within that section. Even doing that, I still can't get to everything I want. In Google maps, 1/2 zooms in and out, which is a nice feature, but I haven't found a way to select everything on the screen. Other than maps, navigating with up/down, 1/2 works quite well

In Settings -> System you can find option "Use touchscreen in Android Auto". Please disable it in order to change behavior of scroll left/right on the Google Maps. When mentioned option is disabled, Google Maps will show controls to scroll and zoom map which can be operate by rotary controller.

RE: Controlling Android Auto Without a Touchscreen - IonicOwl - 10-08-2019

(10-07-2019, 04:41 PM)Daniel_BlueWave Wrote: In the OpenAuto Pro User Guide you can find section  'Keyboard controls'. There is a list of supported keys/buttons and their functionality. It should be your base for the project.

In Settings -> System you can find option "Use touchscreen in Android Auto". Please disable it in order to change behavior of scroll left/right on the Google Maps. When mentioned option is disabled, Google Maps will show controls to scroll and zoom map which can be operate by rotary controller.

I didn't even know that user guide existed.  Found it with a Google and it has everything I need, thank you!

Toggled the "Use touchscreen in Android Auto" setting as above and now I can get everywhere with the keyboard.  I knew I'd seen that setting before, but until I saw the user guide just now, I wasn't sure exactly what it was for.

RE: Controlling Android Auto Without a Touchscreen - officialgrantd - 10-08-2019

(10-07-2019, 04:41 PM)Daniel_BlueWave Wrote: In the OpenAuto Pro User Guide you can find section  'Keyboard controls'. There is a list of supported keys/buttons and their functionality. It should be your base for the project.

(10-07-2019, 01:44 PM)officialgrantd Wrote: Use up/down to get to different sections, and 1/2 scrolls within that section. Even doing that, I still can't get to everything I want. In Google maps, 1/2 zooms in and out, which is a nice feature, but I haven't found a way to select everything on the screen. Other than maps, navigating with up/down, 1/2 works quite well

Thanks for that. I must have skimmed over that when reading the manual. For me, I normally use the touch screen but this is good to know.