BlueWave Studio forum
Several HFP minor issues - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: OpenAuto Pro (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-86.html)
+--- Forum: Bluetooth features (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-72.html)
+---- Forum: Hands-Free Profile (HFP) (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-73.html)
+---- Thread: Several HFP minor issues (/thread-1017.html)

Several HFP minor issues - DLWoodie - 08-12-2019

Hi,

I am in the process of building a new system for my wife's car. The system is working great but for some minor issues with the Bluetooth setup, I say minor because HFP profiles is basically working okay, but...

1. Volume - This is my most pressing issue at this stage. The difference in volume between other sounds and Bluetooth call volume is massive. Once the volume on the external speakers is turned up the HFP quality is very good, but following the call and resuming music again will be far too loud. How can I mix the levels so that call volume is comparable to the rest of the audio? I have tried making changes in pulse audio volume mixer and can see the additional streams during the phone call, however, changes here do not seem to make any noticeable difference to output.
  2. There is some lag, 2-3 seconds as discussed as an issue on another post, however, I am not sure what tolerances I should expect for HFP?
These are perhaps more feature requests, however, they should be key ones and I am surprised these do not appear to have not been raised before...

1. The contacts section only shows a single number for each contact. For example, my wife has several numbers stored against my contact, but when browsing via OAP, I am only listed once with the one number. As it stands she will have to create a duplicate contact for my various numbers or manually dial my other numbers.
  2. Music playing through Kodi (probably other software too) remains playing while taking a call, switching back and forth between Kodi and OAP to adjust this will not be viable for my wife especially while driving ;-). It really needs to pause playback for other software during a call, please can you advise if this is something I can achieve?
A little more detail around my setup...

Raspberry PI 4
OpenAuto Pro 3.3.2
Sound = IQAudio DAC+

I read that the internal adapter has many compatibility issues and was under the impression I needed an external dongle was required. So Bluetooth is currently provided by a TP-Link UB400. Trying to buy a dongle which is not Broadcom proved to be quite the challenge! Vendors and most manufacturers do not list what chip they are using, so I am now the proud owner of several dongles! This one is the only one which is not obviously Broadcom...

:~ $ dmesg | grep -i bluetooth
[    5.178202] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[    5.178307] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[    5.178334] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[    5.178352] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[    5.178399] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[    7.240692] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[    7.240707] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[    7.240729] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[    7.709118] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[    7.709146] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[    7.709174] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
[   10.826799] Modules linked in: rfcomm cmac bnep 8021q garp stp llc hid_logitech ff_memless snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c snd_soc_pcm512x btusb btrtl btintel btbcm bluetooth ecdh_generic evdev joydev snd_usb_audio snd_hwdep snd_usbmidi_lib snd_rawmidi snd_seq_device hid_multitouch vc4 v3d gpu_sched drm_kms_helper brcmfmac brcmutil sha256_generic drm raspberrypi_hwmon hwmon drm_panel_orientation_quirks syscopyarea sysfillrect sysimgblt fb_sys_fops cfg80211 snd_soc_iqaudio_dac snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s rfkill snd_soc_core bcm2835_codec© i2c_bcm2835 snd_compress bcm2835_v4l2© v4l2_mem2mem snd_pcm_dmaengine bcm2835_mmal_vchiq© v4l2_common snd_pcm videobuf2_vmalloc videobuf2_dma_contig videobuf2_memops snd_timer videobuf2_v4l2 snd videobuf2_common videodev media vc_sm_cma© argon_mem uio_pdrv_genirq fixed uio i2c_dev
[   11.009045] Modules linked in: rfcomm cmac bnep 8021q garp stp llc hid_logitech ff_memless snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c snd_soc_pcm512x btusb btrtl btintel btbcm bluetooth ecdh_generic evdev joydev snd_usb_audio snd_hwdep snd_usbmidi_lib snd_rawmidi snd_seq_device hid_multitouch vc4 v3d gpu_sched drm_kms_helper brcmfmac brcmutil sha256_generic drm raspberrypi_hwmon hwmon drm_panel_orientation_quirks syscopyarea sysfillrect sysimgblt fb_sys_fops cfg80211 snd_soc_iqaudio_dac snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s rfkill snd_soc_core bcm2835_codec© i2c_bcm2835 snd_compress bcm2835_v4l2© v4l2_mem2mem snd_pcm_dmaengine bcm2835_mmal_vchiq© v4l2_common snd_pcm videobuf2_vmalloc videobuf2_dma_contig videobuf2_memops snd_timer videobuf2_v4l2 snd videobuf2_common videodev media vc_sm_cma© argon_mem uio_pdrv_genirq fixed uio i2c_dev

While investigating these issues I came accross https://www.bluewavestudio.io/community/showthread.php?tid=626 which states an external dongle is no longer required!! I have not tried the internal adapter.

RE: Several HFP minor issues - Daniel_BlueWave - 08-13-2019

Thank you for your feedback. In general external BT dongle works better with some phones.
Could you check point 1 and 2 with the newest beta and report us results?

As to the feature requests:
1. We will check this
2. For now we do not plan to develop audio mixer

RE: Several HFP minor issues - Chrisfromwa - 08-13-2019

Music playing through Kodi (probably other software too) remains playing while taking a call, switching back and forth between Kodi and OAP to adjust this will not be viable for my wife especially while driving ;-). It really needs to pause playback for other software during a call, please can you advise if this is something I can achieve?

+1

I guess I haven't really had a chance to test out calls with OAP yet and didn't realize this was the case,  but if the music volume remains high when a call comes in.  That's not a great experience, and also distracting while driving. 

I would also like to see this addressed,  I think muting the audio (music) would be the best option for when an incoming call is received.