BlueWave Studio forum
Combi VW T1 - Printable Version

+- BlueWave Studio forum (https://bluewavestudio.io/community)
+-- Forum: Head-unit projects (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-89.html)
+--- Forum: Your projects (https://bluewavestudio.io/community/forum-62.html)
+--- Thread: Combi VW T1 (/thread-1675.html)

Combi VW T1 - fraisdos125 - 06-02-2020

Hi All,

Here few words on my project.
It started here in Santos, Brazil, with this bus:

First version of Combi comes with :
- Light (might be useful)
- And....that's all ! no heaters, fans,...

My target is/was (mostly finished) to update a little bit the electronic inside...with:
  1. Adding many sensors like handbrake detection, light detection, engine rpm, batteries voltage, temperature sensors, fuel consumption fuel tank level,.... 
  2. Adding at the front of the bus a multimedia platform with hand free calls, music, GPS, ...; and at the back of the bus retrogaming / TV
  3. Adding a secondary battery for future accommadations inside the combi (12V, USB charger, fridge,...)
Point 1.:
One canbus card at the front of the combi, one canbus card at the rear of the combi for collecting data and one main canbus card fitted on the raspberry (link to the developer of the cards's website).

This card, the main one, comes with :
- RTC
- 12V input; 2 input of contact detection; 12 V/5V output and supply the Pi.
- bus can
- buzzer

View of the two others bus can cards:

You can see the inputs/outputs of the card:
- PWM outputs
- D&A inputs
- Open collectors
Which fits perfectly for the project.

Point 2. front:
Here comes OAP on a Pi3B+ with some sensors, options available:
- Rear camera
- GPS hardware and Navit.
- Light sensors.
- Temperature sensor for the outside temperature (one wire).
- Joystick like old style for retro gaming for changing tracks, sound, ....
- tuner DAB+
- Some 3D printing.
Testing:

For the automatic detection of the reverse gear I still wonder if I use the buscan and set LOW/HIGH a GPIO from or, if simply connect a sensor to a GPIO. I think I will go for the first solution.

Point 2. back:
- Raspberry 3B+ at the back of the bus.
- Tuner DVB
- Retropie
- Kodi
- Connected by Wifi to the hotspot on the Pi where OAP is fitted.
- Supply (BWS card)
- Laptop screen 15.4
- 12 V card for the connection between the Pi and the Laptop screen (this card has RC output as well)
- Some 3D printing

Point 3. :
- A battery
- 3x12V relais
- Charge connector which connects the secondary battery if main battery voltage > 13.4 V, disconnects lower than 12.0 V.
- Some 3D printing

The main three big steps were:
- Finding suitable software & hardware
- Cabling

- 3D printing
I first had the idea to integrate the pi into a combi ! But not it is finally too big and not convenient. Then I have done a second case to integrate the Pi into the dashboard.

I will use the joystick for up/down/left/right (navigation purposes) and add buttons at the right of the screen. Buttons will be used for gaming and increase, decrease volume, select, back....A button will be used for changing from Media to car monitoring (see differents pictures in the next post as a maximum of 10 pics per post have to be fulfilled).
Some 3D printings coming to integrate this and I will update the post with a movie....have to do it before end of the month :-)

- IT, scripts for tuning the systems together:
Mainly keyboard mapping and startup scripts.

few pics of the different available screens/data.

A nice movie of the project will follow when joystick and buttons will be operating !

RE: Combi VW T1 - GFunkbus76 - 06-02-2020

Super cool man! ... My project is a 1976 bus. Been thinking of the canbus idea also - planning to digitize my dash etc...

Looks great! I've got to dig into it more yet... Is this your canbus system? Or did you just stumble upon the developer?

Good work!!

RE: Combi VW T1 - Daniel_BlueWave - 06-02-2020

We are speechless. This T1 is a masterpiece, especially with this amazing head unit solution Wink
Congratulation of your hard work and your persistence in implementing the project.
Keep up the good work. We can't wait for the movie. ( and we hope that you will update OAP to the latest versionWink)

RE: Combi VW T1 - fraisdos125 - 06-03-2020

(06-02-2020, 03:22 PM)GFunkbus76 Wrote: Super cool man! ... My project is a 1976 bus. Been thinking of the canbus idea also - planning to digitize my dash etc...

Looks great! I've got to dig into it more yet... Is this your canbus system? Or did you just stumble upon the developer?

Good work!!

Hi, good to see you have a bus as well !

Can is a bus, mostly like our bus transporting ..... not people but data :-)
The hardware is based on a can bus, the software is from the developer of the cards and in python. You can tuned it to fit your needs, the limits being...I don't know if there is limits ;-)

Keep in mind that the cards main card (the one on the pi) comes with Pi supply management and a RTC. This is perfect for managing the boot and shutdown of the Pi and having real time clock.

(06-02-2020, 08:08 PM)Daniel_BlueWave Wrote: We are speechless. This T1 is a masterpiece, especially with this amazing head unit solution Wink
Congratulation of your hard work and your persistence in implementing the project.
Keep up the good work. We can't wait for the movie. ( and we hope that you will update OAP to the latest versionWink)

Thanks ! OAP already updated to 8.0, combi lucky :-)

I am really impressed by the quality of OAP and how it works well. I like switchingfrom/to Navit / bluetooth music <-> to Android Auto.
Now I have a target before the end of the month...this movie...will come after 3D printing to integrate the joystick and few buttons...!

It is a pure pleasure this whole project, and, OAP is a masterpiece of it !

RE: Combi VW T1 - stefi - 06-03-2020

wow this is awsome

RE: Combi VW T1 - fraisdos125 - 06-09-2020

Hi All,

Close to the last round before the movie.

Tested this today:
dtoverlay=gpio-key,gpio=5,keycode=65,label="KEY_F7"
dtoverlay=gpio-key,gpio=6,keycode=66,label="KEY_F8"
dtoverlay=gpio-key,gpio=13,keycode=47,label="KEY_V"
dtoverlay=gpio-key,gpio=19,keycode=49,label="KEY_N"

some 3D printing for the joystick

have to integrate the button for switching between apps

some welding and will post the movie :-)

Will be nice to change tracks, set sound with a joystick. Matches pretty well with the bus :-)

RE: Combi VW T1 - fraisdos125 - 06-29-2020

A movie of the project:

This one should give an idea of what is behind but to be honest I don't find it good, I can do better if someone is interested !

Coming upgrades:
- night/day based on the car lights (currently based on TSL2561).
- sensor for the rear gear to be added.
- IR camera to be replaced by a standard one with fish eyes.

For the rest....works good !